Posted on 2017-10-26, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Stephen Siff | Publisher: University of Illinois Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 025203919X | ISBN13: 9780252039195 |
Description: Now synonymous with Sixties counterculture, LSD actually entered the American consciousness via the mainstream. Time and Life, messengers of lumpen-American respectability, trumpeted its grand arrival in a postwar landscape scoured of alluring descriptions of drug use while outlets across the media landscape piggybacked on their coverage with stories by turns sensationalized and glowing. Acid Hype offers the untold tale of LSD's wild journey from Brylcreem and Ivory soap to incense and peppermints. As Stephen Siff shows, the early attention lavished on the drug by the news media glorified its use in treatments for mental illness but also its status as a mysticalyet legitimategateway to exploring the unconscious mind. Siff's history takes readers to the center of how popular media hyped psychedelic drugs in a constantly shifting legal and social environment, producing an intricate relationship between drugs and media experience that came to define contemporary pop culture. It also traces how the breathless coverage of LSD gave way to a textbook moral panic, transforming yesterday's refined seeker of truths into an acid casualty splayed out beyond the fringe of polite society.
Acid Hype: American News Media and the Psychedelic Experience (History of Communication).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32782
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Acid Hype: American News Media and the Psychedelic Experience (History of Communication)
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
- 2017-10-07[PDF] Popular Trials: Rhetoric, Mass Media, and the Law (Studies Rhetoric & Communicati)
- 2016-12-28[PDF] Terms of Service: Social Media and the Price of Constant Connection
- 2017-10-25[PDF] Caesar's Calendar: Ancient Time and the Beginnings of History
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Radio Utopia: Postwar Audio Documentary in the Public Interest (History of Communication)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Radio Utopia: Postwar Audio Documentary in the Public Interest (History of Communication)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Selling War in a Media Age: The Presidency and Public Opinion in the American Century (Larkin Series on the American Presidency)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Messengers of the Right: Conservative Media and the Transformation of American Politics (Politics and Culture in Modern America)
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Adolescents, Media, and the Law: What Developmental Science Reveals and Free Speech Requires (American Psychology-Law Society Series)
- 2017-12-01[PDF] News Media in the Arab World: A Study of 10 Arab and Muslim Countries
- 2017-11-19[PDF] A Force for Good: How the American News Media Have Propelled Positive Change
- 2017-10-14[PDF] American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers
- 2017-02-08[PDF] American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Adolescents, Media, and the Law: What Developmental Science Reveals and Free Speech Requires (American Psychology-Law Society Series)
- 2018-09-26Journalism and PR News Media and Public Relations in the Digital Age
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Exploring the Benefits of Creativity in Education, Media, and the Arts (Advances in Media, Entertainment, and the Arts)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Year That Defined American Journalism: 1897 and the Clash of Paradigms
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Adaptive Multimedia Retrieval. Understanding Media and Adapting to the User: 7th International Workshop, AMR 2009, Madrid, Spain, September 24-25, ... Papers (Lecture Notes in Computer Science)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.