[PDF] Al-Ghazali, Averroes and the Interpretation of the Qur'an: Common Sense and Philosophy in Islam (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East)
Posted on 2018-01-15, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Avital Wohlman | Publisher: Routledge | Category: Religion Other | Language: English | Page: 144 | ISBN: 0415557208 | ISBN13: 9780415557207 |
Description: This book examines the contrasting interpretations of Islam and the Quran by Averroes and Al-Ghazali, as a way of helping us untangle current impasses affecting each Abrahamic faith. This has traditionally been portrayed as a battle between philosophy and theology, but the book shows that Averroes was rather more religious and Al-Ghazali more philosophical than they are usually portrayed. The book traces the interaction between two Muslim thinkers, showing how each is convinced of the existence of a Book in which God is revealed to rational beings, to whom He has given commandments, as well as of the excellence of Islamic society. Yet they differ regarding the proper way to interpret the sacred Book. From this point of view, their discussion does not address the contrast between philosophy and religion, or that between reason and revelation that is so characteristic of the Middle Ages, but rather explores differences at the heart of philosophical discussion in our day: is there a level of discourse which will facilitate mutual comprehension among persons, allowing them to engage in debate? This interpretation of sacred texts illustrates the ways religious practice can shape believers readings of their sacred texts, and how philosophical interpretations can be modified by religious practice. Moreover, since this sort of inquiry characterizes each Abrahamic tradition, this study can be expected to enhance interfaith conversation and explore religious ways to enhance tolerance between other believers.
Al-Ghazali, Averroes and the Interpretation of the Qur'an: Common Sense and Philosophy in Islam (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35352
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Al-Ghazali, Averroes and the Interpretation of the Qur'an: Common Sense and Philosophy in Islam (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Contemporary Urban Landscapes of the Middle East (Routledge Research in Landscape and Environmental Design)
- 2017-10-31[PDF] Migrant Domestic Workers in the Middle East: The Home and the World
- 2017-10-29[PDF] Rising Terror Groups in the Middle East and North Africa (Terrorism, Hot Spots and Conflict-Related Issues)
- 2017-10-22[PDF] Regional Security Dialogue in the Middle East: Changes, Challenges and Opportunities (UCLA Center for Middle East Development (CMED) series)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] US Foreign Policy in the Middle East: The Case for Continuity
- 2018-01-17[PDF] A Brief History of the Middle East
- 2017-12-29[PDF] A Political Economy of the Middle East: Third Edition, UPDATED 2013 EDITION
- 2017-12-28[PDF] A Brief History of the Middle East: From Abraham to Arafat
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Critical Turning Points in the Middle East: 1915 - 2015 - Removed
- 2017-12-08[PDF] A Concise History of the Middle East: Ninth Edition
- 2017-11-10[PDF] Vegetarian Dishes from Across the Middle East
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Hamas: Terrorism, Governance, and Its Future in Middle East Politics (Praeger Security International)
- 2017-10-16[PDF] US Democracy Promotion in the Middle East: The Pursuit of Hegemony
- 2017-10-11[PDF] A Concise History of the Middle East
- 2017-10-07[PDF] Honey & Co: Food from the Middle East
- 2017-10-07[PDF] A Rage for Order: The Middle East in Turmoil, from Tahrir Square to ISIS
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Sirocco: Fabulous Flavors from the Middle East
- 2017-04-05[PDF] Anthropology's Politics: Disciplining the Middle East
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.