Posted on 2018-01-07, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Mimi Sheller | Category: Popular science | Language: English | Page: 384 | ISBN: 0262026821 | ISBN13: 9780262026826 |
Description: Aluminum shaped the twentieth century. It enabled high-speed travel and gravity-defying flight. It was the material of a streamlined aesthetic that came to represent modernity. And it became an essential ingredient in industrial and domestic products that ranged from airplanes and cars to designer chairs and artificial Christmas trees. It entered modern homes as packaging, foil, pots and pans and even infiltrated our bodies through food, medicine, and cosmetics. In Aluminum Dreams, Mimi Sheller describes how the materiality and meaning of aluminum transformed modern life and continues to shape the world today. Aluminum, Sheller tells us, changed mobility and mobilized modern life. It enabled air power, the space age and moon landings. Yet, as Sheller makes clear, aluminum was important not only in twentieth-century technology, innovation, architecture, and design but also in underpinning global military power, uneven development, and crucial environmental and health concerns. Sheller describes aluminum's shiny utopia but also its dark side. The unintended consequences of aluminum's widespread use include struggles for sovereignty and resource control in Africa, India, and the Caribbean the unleashing of multinational corporations and the pollution of the earth through mining and smelting (and the battle to save it). Using a single material as an entry point to understanding a global history of modernization and its implications for the future, Aluminum Dreams forces us to ask: How do we assemble the material culture of modernity and what are its environmental consequences? Aluminum Dreams includes a generous selection of striking images of iconic aluminum designs, many in color, drawn from advertisements by Alcoa, Bohn, Kaiser, and other major corporations, pamphlets, films, and exhibitions.
Aluminum Dreams: The Making of Light Modernity (MIT Press).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35098
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Aluminum Dreams: The Making of Light Modernity (MIT Press)
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Television in the Age of Radio: Modernity, Imagination, and the Making of a Medium
- 2017-12-30[PDF] We Modern People: Science Fiction and the Making of Russian Modernity (Early Classics of Science Fiction)
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Medicine Science and Dreams: The Making of Physician-Scientists
- 2017-10-03[PDF] The City in the Ottoman Empire: Migration and the making of urban modernity (SOAS/Routledge Studies on the Middle East)
- 2017-02-16[PDF] The City in the Ottoman Empire: Migration and the making of urban modernity (SOAS/Routledge Studies on the Middle East)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Shattered Dreams: The Man in Blue
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Stealth Patrol: The Making of a Vietnam Ranger, 1968-70
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Citizens in the Making in Post-Soviet States (BASEES/Routledge Series on Russian and East European Studies)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Greener Products: The Making and Marketing of Sustainable Brands
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Desert Dreams - The Art of Belly Dance For Beginners with Paulina
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Rogue Justice: The Making of the Security State
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Choices: Inside the Making of Indias Foreign Policy (Geopolitics in the 21st Century)
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Hard Work: THE MAKING OF LABOR HISTORY (Working Class in American History)
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Agrarian Dreams: The Paradox of Organic Farming in California (California Studies in Critical Human Geography)
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Shot in the Dark: Low-Light Techniques for Wedding and Portrait Photography
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Peter Sculthorpe: The Making of an Australian Composer
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Metropolis in the Making: Los Angeles in the 1920s
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.