Posted on 2018-01-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Craig E. Colten | Publisher: LSU Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 264 | ISBN: 0807132004 | ISBN13: 9780807132005 |
Description: Strategically situated at the gateway to the Mississippi River yet standing atop a former swamp, New Orleans was from the first what geographer Peirce Lewis called an "impossible but inevitable city." How New Orleans came to be, taking shape between the mutual and often contradictory forces of nature and urban development, is the subject of An Unnatural Metropolis. Craig E. Colten traces engineered modifications to New Orleans's natural environment from 1800 to 2000 and demonstrates that, though all cities must contend with their physical settings, New Orleans may be the city most dependent on human-induced transformations of its precarious site. In a new preface, Colten shows how Hurricane Katrina exemplifies the inability of human artifice to exclude nature from cities and he urges city planners to keep the environment in mind as they contemplate New Orleans's future. Urban geographers frequently have portrayed cities as the antithesis of nature, but in An Unnatural Metropolis, Colten introduces a critical environmental perspective to the history of urban areas. His amply illustrated work offers an in-depth look at a city and society uniquely shaped by the natural forces it has sought to harness.
An Unnatural Metropolis: Wresting New Orleans from Nature.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35636
- 2019-02-22An Unnatural Metropolis Wresting New Orleans from Nature [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-27An Unnatural Metropolis Wresting New Orleans from Nature [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-31Changes in the Air Hurricanes in New Orleans From 1718 to the Present
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Ancient Nasca World: New Insights from Science and Archaeology - Removed
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Men in Relationships: A New Look from a Life Course Perspective (Focus on Men)
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Sayings of the Buddha: New Translations from the Pali Nikayas
- 2017-12-11[PDF] The Garden District of New Orleans
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Are We Born Racist?: New Insights from Neuroscience and Positive Psychology
- 2017-11-19[PDF] The Haunted History of New Orleans: Ghosts of the French Quarter [French]
- 2017-11-19[PDF] An Absolute Massacre: The New Orleans Race Riot of July 30, 1866
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Lost Embrace (Immortals of New Orleans)
- 2017-11-05[PDF] The Accidental City: Improvising New Orleans
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Designing Teacher Evaluation Systems: New Guidance from the Measures of Effective Teaching Project
- 2017-10-13[PDF] Everyday Whole Grains: 175 New Recipes from Amaranth to Wild Rice, Includes Every Ancient Grain (Cooking Light)
- 2017-10-13[PDF] Florida mit Atlanta, Charleston, New Orleans [German]
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Sayings of the Buddha: New Translations from the Pali Nikayas
- 2014-04-14VA - Classic Sounds Of New Orleans From Smithsonian Folkways (2010)
- 2014-04-12VA - Classic Sounds Of New Orleans From Smithsonian Folkways (2010)
- 2014-04-11VA - Classic Sounds Of New Orleans From Smithsonian Folkways (2010)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.