Posted on 2018-01-10, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Marian Smith | Publisher: Princeton University Press | Category: Music | Language: English | Page: 288 | ISBN: 0691049947 | ISBN13: 9780691049946 |
Description: Marian Smith recaptures a rich period in French musical theater when ballet and opera were intimately connected. Focusing on the age of Giselle at the Paris Opra (from the 1830s through the 1840s), Smith offers an unprecedented look at the structural and thematic relationship between the two genres. She argues that a deeper understanding of both ballet and operaand of nineteenth-century theater-going culture in generalmay be gained by examining them within the same framework instead of following the usual practice of telling their histories separately. This handsomely illustrated book ultimately provides a new portrait of the Opra during a period long celebrated for its box-office successes in both genres. Smith begins by showing how gestures were encoded in the musical language that composers used in ballet and in opera. She moves on to a wide range of topics, including the relationship between the gestures of the singers and the movements of the dancers, and the distinction between dance that represents dancing (entertainment staged within the story of the opera) and dance that represents action. Smith maintains that ballet-pantomime and opera continued to rely on each other well into the nineteenth century, even as they thrived independently. The "divorce" between the two arts occurred little by little, and may be traced through unlikely sources: controversies in the press about the changing nature of ballet-pantomime music, shifting ideas about originality, complaints about the ridiculousness of pantomime, and a little-known rehearsal score for Giselle.
Ballet and Opera in the Age of Giselle.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35192
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Alternative Chinese Opera in the Age of Globalization: Performing Zero (Studies in International Performance)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Intimacy and Sexuality in the Age of Shakespeare
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Citizenship and Identity in the Age of Surveillance
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Talking and Listening in the Age of Modernity: Essays on the history of sound
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Terror and Democracy in the Age of Stalin: The Social Dynamics of Repression
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Management and Security in the Age of Hyperconnectivity: 10th IFIP WG 6.6 International Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management, and ... (Lecture Notes in Computer Science)
- 2017-10-25[PDF] Literature and Heresy in the Age of Chaucer (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Literature)
- 2017-10-25[PDF] Africans and Britons in the Age of Empires, 1660-1980
- 2017-10-25[PDF] Journalism and Memorialization in the Age of Social Media
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Africans and Britons in the Age of Empires, 1660-1980
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Alternative Chinese Opera in the Age of Globalization: Performing Zero (Studies in International Performance)
- 2019-07-25&(Awesome) - Why You Should Read Humans Need Not Apply: A Guide to Wealth and Work in the Age of Artificial Intelligence by Jerry Kaplan Online or Download [PDF - EPUB - MOBI]
- 2019-01-24Morality and Viennese Opera in the Age of Mozart and Beethoven
- 2019-01-11Morality and Viennese Opera in the Age of Mozart and Beethoven
- 2018-12-25Morality and Viennese Opera in the Age of Mozart and Beethoven
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Humans Need Not Apply: A Guide to Wealth and Work in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Dark Matter: Art and Politics in the Age of Enterprise Culture (Marxism and Culture)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Third Party Sex Work and Pimps in the Age of Anti-trafficking
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Revolutionary Science: Transformation and Turmoil in the Age of the Guillotine
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.