Posted on 2017-12-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Marc Domingo Gygax | Publisher: Cambridge University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 315 | ISBN: 0521515351 | ISBN13: 9780521515351 |
Description: This volume presents for the first time an in-depth analysis of the origins of Greek euergetism. Derived from the Greek for 'benefactor', 'euergetism' refers to the process whereby citizens and foreigners offered voluntary services and donations to the polis that were in turn recognised as benefactions in a formal act of reciprocation. Euergetism is key to our understanding of how city-states negotiated both the internal tensions between mass and elite, and their conflicts with external powers. This study adopts the standpoint of historical anthropology and seeks to identify patterns of behaviour and social practices deeply rooted in Greek society and in the long course of Greek history. It covers more than five hundred years and will appeal to ancient historians and scholars in other fields interested in gift exchange, benefactions, philanthropy, power relationships between mass and elite, and the interplay between public discourse and social praxis.
Benefaction and Rewards in the Ancient Greek City: The Origins of Euergetism.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34681
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Myths and Tragedies in their Ancient Greek Contexts
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Gender and Immortality: Heroines in Ancient Greek Myth and Cult (Princeton Legacy Library)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Myths and Tragedies in their Ancient Greek Contexts
- 2017-10-30[PDF] House and Society in the Ancient Greek World (New Studies in Archaeology)
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Narrative and Identity in the Ancient Greek Novel: Returning Romance (Greek Culture in the Roman World)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Viticulture and Brewing in the Ancient (Cooking in America)
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Mystery and Secrecy in the Nag Hammadi Collection and Other Ancient Literature: Ideas and Practices (Nag Hammadi and Manichaean Studies)
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Orality and Literacy in the Demotic Tales (Culture and History of the Ancient Near East)
- 2017-12-22[PDF] War and Society in the Greek World
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Sport and Spectacle in the Ancient World (Ancient Cultures)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Law and Legality in the Greek East: The Byzantine Canonical Tradition, 381-883 (Oxford Early Christian Studies)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Polis: An Introduction to the Ancient Greek City-State
- 2017-12-08[PDF] Arts and Humanities through the Eras: Ancient Greece and Rome (1200 B.C.E.-476 C.E.)
- 2017-12-06[PDF] Arts and Humanities through the Eras: Ancient Egypt (2675 B.C.E.-332 B.C.E.)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Man and Wound in the Ancient World: A History of Military Medicine from Sumer to the Fall of Constantinople
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Art and Architecture of the Synagogue in Late Antique Palestine (Ancient Judaism and Early Christianity)
- 2017-11-05[PDF] Death and Disease in the Ancient City
- 2017-11-03[PDF] War and Peace in the Ancient World (Ancient World: Comparative Histories)
- 2017-10-16[PDF] Tradition and Innovation in the Ancient Near East: Proceedings of the 57th Rencontre Assyriologique International at Rome, 4-8 July 2011
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.