Posted on 2018-01-28, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 320 | ISBN: 0198701241 | ISBN13: 9780198701248 |
Description: In the dying days of the eighth century, the Vikings erupted onto the international stage with brutal raids and slaughter. The medieval Norsemen may be best remembered as monk murderers and village pillagers, but this is far from the whole story. Throughout the Middle Ages, long-ships transported hairy northern voyagers far and wide, where they not only raided but also traded, explored and settled new lands, encountered unfamiliar races, and embarked on pilgrimages and crusades. The Norsemen travelled to all corners of the medieval world and beyond north to the wastelands of arctic Scandinavia, south to the politically turbulent heartlands of medieval Christendom, west across the wild seas to Greenland and the fringes of the North American continent, and east down the Russian waterways trading silver, skins, and slaves. Beyond the Northlands explores this world through the stories that the Vikings told about themselves in their sagas. But the depiction of the Viking world in the Old Norse-Icelandic sagas goes far beyond historical facts. What emerges from these tales is a mixture of realism and fantasy, quasi-historical adventures and exotic wonder-tales that rocket far beyond the horizon of reality. On the crackling brown pages of saga manuscripts, trolls, dragons and outlandish tribes jostle for position with explorers, traders, and kings. To explore the sagas and the world that produced them, Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough now takes her own trip through the dramatic landscapes that they describe. Along the way, she illuminates the rich but often confusing saga accounts with a range of other evidence: archaeological finds, rune-stones, medieval world maps, encyclopedic manuscripts, and texts from as far away as Byzantium and Baghdad. As her journey across the Old Norse world shows, by situating the sagas against the revealing background of this other evidence, we can begin at least to understand just how the world was experienced, remembered, and imagined by this unique culture from the outermost edge of Europe so many centuries ago.
Beyond the Northlands: Viking Voyages and the Old Norse Sagas.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35754
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Beyond the Days of the Giants: Solving the Crisis of Growth and Succession in Today's CPA Firms
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Beyond the Stars: Our Origins and the Search for Life in The Universe
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Beyond the Psychoanalytic Dyad: Developmental Semiotics in Freud, Peirce and Lacan (Sacred Literature)
- 2018-01-21[PDF] A Choice Collection of Voyages and Explorations in All Parts of the World Also a Few Early Atlases: From the Stock of Martinus Nijhoff Bookseller
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Beyond the Therapeutic Relationship: Behavioral, Biological, and Cognitive Foundations of Psychotherapy (Advances in Psychology and Mental Health)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Beyond the Pale: White Women, Racism, and History (Feminist Classics)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Beyond the Solar System: Exploring Galaxies, Black Holes, Alien Planets, and More A History with 21 Activities (For Kids series)
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Beyond the Quran: Early Ismaili ta'wil and the Secrets of the Prophets
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Beyond the Dance Floor: Female DJs, Technology and Electronic Dance Music Culture
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Beyond the Threshold: Afterlife Beliefs and Experiences in World Religions
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Beyond the Color Line: New Perspectives on Race and Ethnicity in America
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Beyond the Hoax: Science, Philosophy and Culture
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Beyond the Metropolis: Second Cities and Modern Life in Interwar Japan
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Beyond The Borders: American Literature and Post-Colonial Theory
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Beyond the Burghal Hidage: Anglo-Saxon Civil Defence in the Viking Age
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Beyond the Borderlands: Migration and Belonging in the United States and Mexico
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Beyond the Latino World War II Hero: The Social and Political Legacy of a Generation
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Beyond the Enlightenment: Lives and Thoughts of Social Theorists
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Beyond the Bear: How I Learned To Live And Love Again After Being Blinded By A Bear
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.