Posted on 2018-01-27, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Black Cowboys in the American West : On the Range, on the Stage, behind the Badge | Publisher: University of Oklahoma Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 0806154063 | ISBN13: 9780806154060 |
Description: Who were the black cowboys? They were drovers, foremen, fiddlers, cowpunchers, cattle rustlers, cooks, and singers. They worked as wranglers, riders, ropers, bulldoggers, and bronc busters. They came from varied backgrounds some grew up in slavery, while free blacks often got their start in Texas and Mexico. Most who joined the long trail drives were men, but black women also rode and worked on western ranches and farms. The first overview of the subject in more than fifty years, Black Cowboys in the American West surveys the life and work of these cattle drivers from the years before the Civil War through the turn of the twentieth century. Including both classic, previously published articles and exciting new research, this collection also features select accounts of twentieth-century rodeos, music, people, and films. Arranged in three sections Cowboys on the Range, Performing Cowboys, and Outriders of the Black Cowboys the thirteen chapters illuminate the great diversity of the black cowboy experience. Like all ranch hands and riders, African American cowboys lived hard, dangerous lives. But black drovers were expected to do the roughest, most dangerous work and to do it without complaint. They faced discrimination out west, albeit less than in the South, which many had left in search of autonomy and freedom. As cowboys, they could escape the brutal violence visited on African Americans in many southern communities and northern cities. Black cowhands remain an integral part of life in the West, the descendants of African Americans who ventured west and helped settle and establish black communities. This long-overdue examination of nineteenth- and twentieth-century black cowboys ensures that they, and their many stories and experiences, will continue to be known and told.
Black Cowboys in the American West: On the Range, on the Stage, behind the Badge.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35723
- 2012-05-20Sound the Charge: The U.S.Cavalry in the American West 1866-1916 (The G.I.Series #12)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Black City Cinema: African American Urban Experiences In Film (Culture And The Moving Image)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Black Entertainers in African American Newspaper Articles: V2 An Annotated Bibliography of the Pittsburgh Courier & the California Eagle, 1914-1950 (Black Entertainers in African American Newspapers)
- 2017-10-28[PDF] Black Hawk and the War of 1832: Removal in the North (Landmark Events in Native American History)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Black Experience and the Empire (Oxford History of the British Empire Companion)
- 2017-12-29[PDF] Black Hole Astrophysics: The Engine Paradigm (Springer Praxis Books / Astronomy and Planetary Sciences) - Removed
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Black Diva of the Thirties: The Life of Ruby Elzy
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Black and Proud: The Story of an Iconic AFL Photo
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Black Code: Inside the Battle for Cyberspace
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Black Sabbath and the Rise of Heavy Metal Music
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Black Heart On the Appalachian Trail: A Novel
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Black Experience and the Empire
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Black Silent Majority: The Rockefeller Drug Laws and the Politics of Punishment
- 2017-11-15[PDF] Black Horse Ride: The Inside Story of Lloyds and the Banking Crisis
- 2017-11-14[PDF] Black Canyon Conspiracy (The Ranger Brigade)
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Black Power in the Caribbean
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Black Like Me: The Definitive Griffin Estate Edition
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Black and White: The Way I See It
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Black Muslims and the Law: Civil Liberties from Elijah Muhammad to Muhammad Ali (Critical Africana Studies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.