[PDF] Black Labor, White Sugar: Caribbean Braceros and Their Struggle for Power in the Cuban Sugar Industry
Posted on 2017-11-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Philip A. Howard | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 320 | ISBN: 0807159522 | ISBN13: 9780807159521 |
Description: Early in the twentieth century, the Cuban sugarcane industry faced a labor crisis when Cuban and European workers balked at the inhumane conditions they endured in the cane fields. Rather than reforming their practices, sugar companies gained permission from the Cuban government to import thousands of black workers from other Caribbean colonies, primarily Haiti and Jamaica. Black Labor, White Sugar illuminates the story of these immigrants, their exploitation by the sugarcane companies, and the strategies they used to fight back. Philip A. Howard traces the socioeconomic and political circumstances in Haiti and Jamaica that led men to leave their homelands to cut, load, and haul sugarcane in Cuba. Once there, the field workers, or braceros, were subject to marginalization and even violence from the sugar companies, which used structures of race, ethnicity, color, and class to subjugate these laborers. Howard argues that braceros drew on their cultural identities from concepts of home and family to spiritual worldviews to interpret and contest their experiences in Cuba. They also fought against their exploitation in more overt ways. As labor conditions worsened in response to falling sugar prices, the principles of anarcho-syndicalism converged with the Pan-African philosophy of Marcus Garvey to foster the evolution of a protest culture among black Caribbean laborers. By the mid-1920s, this identity encouraged many braceros to participate in strikes that sought to improve wages as well as living and working conditions. The first full-length exploration of Haitian and Jamaican workers in the Cuban sugarcane industry, Black Labor, White Sugar examines the industry's abuse of thousands of black Caribbean immigrants, and the braceros' answering struggle for power and self-definition.
Black Labor, White Sugar: Caribbean Braceros and Their Struggle for Power in the Cuban Sugar Industry.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33663
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Strain Rate Testing of Metallic Materials and their Modelling for use in CAE Based Automotive Crash Simulation Tools (Recommendations & Procedures)
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Born into the Children of God: My life in a religious sex cult and my struggle for survival on the outside
- 2017-11-13[PDF] The Maroons of Prospect Bluff and Their Quest for Freedom in the Atlantic World (Contested Boundaries)
- 2016-12-22[PDF] Born into the Children of God: My life in a religious sex cult and my struggle for survival on the outside
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Black Holes, White Dwarfs and Neutron Stars: The Physics of Compact Objects
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Black Edge: Inside Information, Dirty Money, and the Quest to Bring Down the Most Wanted Man on Wall Street [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Black Passenger Yellow Cabs: Of Exile and Excess in Japan
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Black Dove, White Raven [Audiobook]
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Black Patriots and Loyalists: Fighting for Emancipation in the War for Independence
- 2017-10-10[PDF] Black Slaves, Indian Masters: Slavery, Emancipation, and Citizenship in the Native American South
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Black Wind, White Snow: The Rise of Russia's New Nationalism
- 2017-10-04[PDF] Black Bread White Beer
- 2017-02-17[PDF] Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Black Wind, White Snow: The Rise of Russia's New Nationalism
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Black Patriots and Loyalists: Fighting for Emancipation in the War for Independence
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Stronger Legs & Lower Body - 91 Exercises And 19 Programs For Strength,Size and Power
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Regular Nanofabrics in Emerging Technologies: Design and Fabrication Methods for Nanoscale Digital Circuits (Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering) - Removed
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Secrets of Master Brewers: Techniques, Traditions, and Homebrew Recipes for 26 of the World's Classic Beer Styles, from Czech Pilsner to English Old Ale
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.