Posted on 2018-01-14, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Eric John Abrahamson | Publisher: University of California Press | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 368 | ISBN: 0520273753 | ISBN13: 9780520273757 |
Description: Building Home is an innovative biography that weaves together three engrossing stories. It is one part corporate and industrial history, using the evolution of mortgage finance as a way to understand larger dynamics in the nations political economy. It is another part urban history, since the extraordinary success of the savings and loan business in Los Angeles reflects much of the cultural and economic history of Southern California. Finally, it is a personal story, a biography of one of the nations most successful entrepreneurs of the managed economyHoward Fieldstad Ahmanson. Eric John Abrahamson deftly connects these three strands as he chronicles Ahmansons rise against the background of the postwar housing boom and the growth of L.A. during the same period. As a sun-tanned yachtsman and a cigar-smoking financier, the Omaha-born Ahmanson was both unique and representative of many of the business leaders of his era. He did not control a vast infrastructure like a railroad or an electrical utility. Nor did he build his wealth by pulling the financial levers that made possible these great corporate endeavors. Instead, he made a fortune by enabling the middle-class American dream. With his great wealth, he contributed substantially to the expansion of the cultural institutions in L.A. As we struggle to understand the current mortgage-led financial crisis, Ahmansons life offers powerful insights into an era when the widespread hope of homeownership was just beginning to take shape.
Building Home: Howard F. Ahmanson and the Politics of the American Dream.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35325
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Between Islam and the American Dream: An Immigrant Muslim Community in Post-9/11 America (Routledge Advances in Sociology)
- 2018-01-11[PDF] This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Nightmare Alley: Film Noir and the American Dream
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Sherman's Ghosts: Soldiers, Civilians, and the American Way of War
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Mr Playboy: Hugh Hefner and the American Dream
- 2017-11-28[PDF] The First Black President: Barack Obama, Race, Politics, and the American Dream - Removed
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Playing for Their Nation: Baseball and the American Military during World War II (Jerry Malloy Prize)
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Stagestruck Filmmaker: D. W. Griffith and the American Theatre (Studies Theatre Hist & Culture)
- 2017-10-13[PDF] Diploma Mills: How For-Profit Colleges Stiffed Students, Taxpayers, and the American Dream
- 2017-02-08[PDF] This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The First Black President: Barack Obama, Race, Politics, and the American Dream
- 2019-03-28The Snakehead An Epic Tale of the Chinatown Underworld and the American Dream
- 2018-10-31The First Black President Barack Obama, Race, Politics, and the American Dream
- 2018-10-31Behold, America A History of America First and the American Dream
- 2018-09-25Behold, America A History of America First and the American Dream
- 2018-09-04Temp How American Work, American Business, and the American Dream Became Temporary
- 2018-08-31Temp: How American Work, American Business, and the American Dream Became Temporary
- 2018-05-07Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream The Most Revealing Portrait of a President and Presidential Power Ever [Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.