[PDF] Carlyle and the Economics of Terror: A Study of Revisionary Gothicism in The French Revolution [French]
Posted on 2018-01-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Mary Desaulniers | Publisher: McGill-Queen's University Press | Category: History | Language: French | Page: 152 | ISBN: 0773512691 | ISBN13: 9780773512696 |
Description: Carlyle's difficult and obscure prose as often been interpreted as a reflection of the author's temperament or idiosyncracies. Mary Desaulniers, however, argues that Carlyle's language is a deliberate strategy for revisioning language and places it within an "economics" of representation. By situating his prose within the gothic tradition with its history of resistance to linguistic transparency, Desaulniers makes the claim that in the French revolution, Carlyle uses revisionary Gothicism as a linguistic vehicle for economic and political issues. Using Aristotle's "Oikonomia" to establish a paradigm of wholeness and authentic engagement, Desaulniers argues that Carlyle returns language to material wholeness by insisting on situating sign within representation so that the materiality of the sign is not surrendered to the idea imposed on it. By focusing on reading as an act of constitution within the French revolution, she situates the political crisis within a linguistic one - the constitution becomes both a thematic and self-reflective constituent of the linguistic process. Desauliniers concentrates on Carlyle's use of Gothic conventions and draws upon such texts as Goethe's "Faust" and the Gothic romances of Maturin and Lewis. By establishing the French Revolution as a precursor to Browning's "Sordello", she establishes that the "economics" of representation remains a pivotal 19th-century linguistic strategy.
Carlyle and the Economics of Terror: A Study of Revisionary Gothicism in The French Revolution [French].pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35548
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Gender and the Mexican Revolution: Yucatan Women and the Realities of Patriarchy
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Britain and the American Revolution
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Women and the Texas Revolution
- 2018-01-27[PDF] JFK and the Reagan Revolution: A Secret History of American Prosperity
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Bukharin and the Bolshevik Revolution: A Political Biography, 1888-1938
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Vauban and the French Military Under Louis XIV: An Illustrated History of Fortifications and Strategies [French]
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Carlyle's The French Revolution
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Zapata and the Mexican Revolution
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Geopolitics and the Green Revolution: Wheat, Genes, and the Cold War
- 2017-10-29[PDF] Foucault and the Iranian Revolution: Gender and the Seductions of Islamism
- 2017-10-18[PDF] Anna and the French Kiss
- 2017-10-12[PDF] Evolution and the Molecular Revolution
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Scotland and the French Revolutionary War, 1792-1802 (Scottish Historical Review Monographs Eup) [French]
- 2017-02-10[PDF] Zapata and the Mexican Revolution
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Foucault and the Iranian Revolution: Gender and the Seductions of Islamism
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Geopolitics and the Green Revolution: Wheat, Genes, and the Cold War
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Anna and the French Kiss
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Macroeconomics and the History of Economic Thought: Festschrift in Honour of Harald Hagemann (Routledge Studies in the History of Economics)
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Neuroscience and the Economics of Decision Making (Routledge Advances in Experimental and Computable Economics)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.