Posted on 2017-12-20, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Nicholas Jolley | Category: Philosophy | Language: English | Page: 296 | ISBN: 0199669554 | ISBN13: 9780199669554 |
Description: Causality and Mind presents seventeen of Nicholas Jolley's essays on early modern philosophy, which focus on two main themes. One theme is the continuing debate over the nature of causality in the period from Descartes to Hume. Jolley shows that, despite his revolutionary stance, Descartes did no serious re-thinking about causality it was left to his unorthodox disciple Malebranche to argue that there is no place for natural causality in the new mechanistic picture of the physical world. Several essays explore critical reactions to Malebranche's occasionalism in the writings of Leibniz, Berkeley, and Hume, and show how in their different ways Leibniz and Hume respond to Malebranche by re-instating the traditional view that science is the search for causes. A second theme of the volume is the set of issues posed by Descartes' innovations in the philosophy of mind. It is argued that Malebranche is once again a pivotal figure. In opposition to Descartes Malebranche insists that ideas, the objects of thought, are not psychological but abstract entities he thus opposes Descartes' 'dustbin theory of the mind'. Malebranche also challenges Descartes' assumption that intentionality is a mark of the mental and his commitment to the superiority of self-knowledge over knowledge of body. Other essays discuss the debate over innate ideas, Locke's polemics against Descartes' theory of mind, and the issue of Leibniz's phenomenalism. A major aim of the volume is to show that philosophers in the period are systematic critics of their contemporaries and predecessors.
Causality and Mind: Essays on Early Modern Philosophy.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34559
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Causality and Mind: Essays on Early Modern Philosophy
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Law and Conscience: Catholicism in Early Modern England, 1570-1625 (Catholic Christendom, 1300-1700)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Scholars and Sultans in the Early Modern Ottoman Empire
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Francis Bacon and the Transformation of Early-Modern Philosophy
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Puritanism and Emotion in the Early Modern World (Christianities in the Trans-Atlantic World, 1500-1800) - Removed
- 2017-12-08[PDF] Art and Palace Politics in Early Modern Japan, 1580s-1680s (Japanese Visual Culture)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] War and Conflict in the Early Modern World: 1500-1700 (War and Conflict Through the Ages)
- 2017-10-16[PDF] Reading between the lines Leo Strauss and the history of early modern philosophy
- 2017-04-08[PDF] Plague and Empire in the Early Modern Mediterranean World: The Ottoman Experience, 1347-1600
- 2017-04-05[PDF] Mothers and Meaning on the Early Modern English Stage
- 2019-01-31Human and Animal Cognition in Early Modern Philosophy and Medicine
- 2019-01-11Human and Animal Cognition in Early Modern Philosophy and Medicine
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Vision and Mind: Selected Readings in the Philosophy of Perception
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Vision and Mind: Selected Readings in the Philosophy of Perception
- 2012-12-13Francis Bacon and the Transformation of Early-Modern Philosophy (repost)
- 2011-09-25Francis Bacon and the Transformation of Early-Modern Philosophy
- 2011-08-22Francis Bacon and the Transformation of Early-Modern Philosophy
- 2010-04-05Pierre Gassendi and the Birth of Early Modern Philosophy
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Renaissance and Revolt: Essays in the Intellectual and Social History of Early Modern France (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern History)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.