Posted on 2017-11-09, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Guoqi Xu | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 352 | ISBN: 0674052536 | ISBN13: 9780674052536 |
Description: Chinese-American relations are often viewed through the prism of power rivalry and civilization clash. But China and Americaâ€™s shared history is much more than a catalog of conflicts. Using culture rather than politics or economics as a reference point, Xu Guoqi highlights significant yet neglected cultural exchanges in which China and America have contributed to each otherâ€™s national development, building the foundation of what Zhou Enlai called a relationship of â€œequality and mutual benefit.â€ Xu begins with the story of Anson Burlingame, Abraham Lincolnâ€™s ambassador to China, and the 120 Chinese students he played a crucial role in bringing to America, inaugurating a program of Chinese international study that continues today. Such educational crosscurrents moved both ways, as is evident in Xuâ€™s profile of the remarkable Ge Kunhua, the Chinese poet who helped spearhead Chinese language teaching in Boston in the 1870s. Xu examines the contributions of two American scholars to Chinese political and educational reform in the twentieth century: the law professor Frank Goodnow, who took part in making the Yuan Shikai governmentâ€™s constitution and the philosopher John Dewey, who helped promote Chinese modernization as a visiting scholar at Peking University and elsewhere. Xu also shows that it was Americans who first introduced to China the modern Olympic movement, and that China has used sports ever since to showcase its rise as a global power. These surprising shared traditions between two nations, Xu argues, provide the best roadmap for the future of Sino-American relations.
Chinese and Americans: A Shared History.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33278
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Chinese Characters: Their Origin, Etymology, History, Classification, and Signification: A Thorough Study from Chinese Documents
- 2018-12-09Osage and Settler Reconstructing Shared History Through an Oklahoma Family Archive
- 2018-12-07Osage and Settler Reconstructing Shared History Through an Oklahoma Family Archive
- 2018-11-23Osage and Settler Reconstructing Shared History Through an Oklahoma Family Archive
- 2018-11-21Osage and Settler Reconstructing Shared History Through an Oklahoma Family Archive
- 2018-03-11Dragon and Kangaroo: Australia and China's Shared History from the Goldfields to the Present Day
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Ritual and Politics: Writing the History of a Dynastic Conflict in Medieval Poland (East Central and Eastern Europe in the Middle Ages, 450-1450)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Chinese and foreign military and police combat fighting [Chinese]
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Football and the Boundaries of History: Critical Studies in Soccer - Removed
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Traditionalism and Radicalism in the History of Christian Thought
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Tarot and Other Meditation Decks: History, Theory, Aesthetics, Typology
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Chinese and Related North American Herbs: Phytopharmacology and Therapeutic Values
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Black and British: A Forgotten History
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Courtrooms and Classrooms: A Legal History of College Access, 1860-1960
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Securitization and the Global Economy: History and Prospects for the Future - Removed
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Dinosaurs and Dioramas: Creating Natural History Exhibitions
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food (Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.