[PDF] Cities in Motion: Urban Life and Cosmopolitanism in Southeast Asia, 1920-1940 (Asian Connections)
Posted on 2018-02-02, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Su Lin Lewis | Publisher: Cambridge University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 320 | ISBN: 1107108330 | ISBN13: 9781107108332 |
Description: In the 1920s and 1930s, the port cities of Southeast Asia were staging grounds for diverse groups of ordinary citizens to experiment with modernity, as a rising Japan and the growth of American capitalism challenged the predominance of European empires after the First World War. Both migrants and locals played a pivotal role in shaping civic culture. Moving away from a nationalist reading of the period, Su Lin Lewis explores layers of cross-cultural interaction in various spheres: the urban built environment, civic associations, print media, education, and popular culture. While the book focuses on Penang, Rangoon, and Bangkok - three cities born amidst British expansion in the region - it explores connected experiences across Asia and in Asian intellectual enclaves in Europe. Cosmopolitan sensibilities were severely tested in the era of post-colonial nationalism, but are undergoing a resurgence in Southeast Asia's civil society and creative class today.
Cities in Motion: Urban Life and Cosmopolitanism in Southeast Asia, 1920-1940 (Asian Connections).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35892
- 2017-04-10[PDF] Cities, Citizens, and Technologies: Urban Life and Postmodernity
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Cities, Citizens, and Technologies: Urban Life and Postmodernity
- 2017-10-31[PDF] The Ancient Middle Classes: Urban Life and Aesthetics in the Roman Empire, 100 BCE-250 CE
- 2009-07-08Cities, Citizens, and Technologies: Urban Life and Postmodernity
- 2009-05-18Cities as Sustainable Ecosystems: Principles and Practices
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Food for Africa: The Life and Work of a Scientist in GM Crops
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Eminent Economists II: Their Life and Work Philosophies
- 2018-01-31[PDF] E.H. Norman: His Life and Scholarship
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Sean O Riada: His Life and Work
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Expect Great Things: The Life and Search of Henry David Thoreau
- 2018-01-27[PDF] A Tragic Honesty: The Life and Work of Richard Yates
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Highway to Hell: The Life and Times of AC/DC Legend Bon Scott
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Peace in Motion: John Dewey and the Aesthetics of Well-Being (American University Studies)
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Nature's Oracle: The Life and Work of W. D. Hamilton
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Joan de Valence: The Life and Influence of a Thirteenth-Century Noblewoman (Palgrave Macmillan The New Middle Ages)
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Calculated Risk: The Supersonic Life and Times of Gus Grissom
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Masters of Sex: The Life and Times of William Masters and Virginia Johnson, the Couple Who Taught America How to Love [Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.