Posted on 2017-12-27, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Christopher Endy | Publisher: The University of North Carolina Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 304 | ISBN: 0807855480 | ISBN13: 9780807855485 |
Description: Moving beyond traditional state-centered conceptions of foreign relations, Christopher Endy approaches the Cold War era relationship between France and the United States from the original perspective of tourism. Focusing on American travel in France after World War II, Cold War Holidays shows how both the U.S. and French governments actively cultivated and shaped leisure travel to advance their foreign policy agendas. From the U.S. government's campaign to encourage American vacations in Western Europe as part of the Marshall Plan, to Charles de Gaulle's aggressive promotion of American tourism to France in the 1960s, Endy reveals how consumerism and globalization played a major role in transatlantic affairs. Yet contrary to analyses of globalization that emphasize the decline of the nation-state, Endy argues that an era notable for the rise of informal transnational exchanges was also a time of entrenched national identity and persistent state power. A lively array of voices informs Endy's analysis: Parisian hoteliers and cafe waiters, American and French diplomats, advertising and airline executives, travel writers, and tourists themselves. The resulting portrait reveals tourism as a colorful and consequential illustration of the changing nature of international relations in an age of globalization.
Cold War Holidays: American Tourism in France (The New Cold War History).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34779
- 2009-06-23Cold War Holidays: American Tourism in France
- 2017-12-14[PDF] A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
- 2017-10-23[PDF] A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order (Paul & Co Pub Consortium)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Literature, Ethics, and Decolonization in Postwar France: The Politics of Disengagement
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Carter G. Woodson in Washington, D.C.: The Father of Black History (American Heritage)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Our Emily Dickinsons: American Women Poets and the Intimacies of Difference (Haney Foundation Series)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Changing Course: American Curriculum Reform in the 20th Century (Reflective History, 8)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Science and Technology (American Indian Contributions to the World)
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Medicine and Health (American Indian Contributions to the World)
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Mary Rose: Tudor Princess, Queen of France, the Extraordinary Life of Henry VIII's Sister
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Immigrant, Inc.: Why Immigrant Entrepreneurs Are Driving the New Economy (and how they will save the American worker)
- 2017-11-28[PDF] Law's History: American Legal Thought and the Transatlantic Turn to History
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Transforming Scriptures: African American Women Writers and the Bible
- 2017-11-13[PDF] Crime, Madness and Politics in Modern France: The Medical Concept of National Decline
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Why There Is No Poststructuralism in France: The Making of an Intellectual Generation (Bloomsbury Studies in Continental Philosophy)
- 2013-09-22A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
- 2008-01-13[request]A Century Of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order - Removed
- 2019-05-12The New Cambridge Modern History, Vol. 5: The Ascendancy of France, 1648-88
- 2019-05-12The New Cambridge Modern History, Vol. 9: War and Peace in an Age of Upheaval, 1793-1830
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.