Posted on 2017-12-04, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Greg Barnhisel | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 336 | ISBN: 0231162308 | ISBN13: 9780231162302 |
Description: European intellectuals of the 1950s dismissed American culture as nothing more than cowboy movies and the A-bomb. In response, American cultural diplomats tried to show that the United States had something to offer beyond military might and commercial exploitation. Through literary magazines, traveling art exhibits, touring musical shows, radio programs, book translations, and conferences, they deployed the revolutionary aesthetics of modernism to prove particularly to the leftists whose Cold War loyalties they hoped to secure that American art and literature were aesthetically rich and culturally significant. Yet by repurposing modernism, American diplomats and cultural authorities turned the avant-garde into the establishment. They remade the once revolutionary movement into a content-free collection of artistic techniques and styles suitable for middlebrow consumption. Cold War Modernists documents how the CIA, the State Department, and private cultural diplomats transformed modernist art and literature into pro-Western propaganda during the first decade of the Cold War. Drawing on interviews, previously unknown archival materials, and the stories of such figures and institutions as William Faulkner, Stephen Spender, Irving Kristol, James Laughlin, and Voice of America, Barnhisel reveals how the U.S. government reconfigured modernism as a trans-Atlantic movement, a joint endeavor between American and European artists, with profound implications for the art that followed and for the character of American identity.
Cold War Modernists: Art, Literature, and American Cultural Diplomacy.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34072
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Cold War Modernists: Art, Literature, and American Cultural Diplomacy
- 2017-04-06[PDF] Cold War Submarines: The Design and Construction of U.S. and Soviet Submarines, 1945-2001
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Late Modernism: Art, Culture, and Politics in Cold War America (The Arts and Intellectual Life in Modern America)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] American Torture: From the Cold War to Abu Ghraib and Beyond
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Mandarins of the Future: Modernization Theory in Cold War America (New Studies in American Intellectual and Cultural History)
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Education and the Cold War: The Battle for the American School - Removed
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Education and the Cold War: The Battle for the American School
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The War That Used Up Words: American Writers and the First World War
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The War of Art (Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles) [Audiobook] - Removed
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Cold War Energy: A Transnational History of Soviet Oil and Gas - Removed
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Encyclopedia of the Cold War: A Political, Social, and Military History, 5 Volume Set
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Cold War America, 1946 to 1990 (Almanacs of American Life)
- 2018-01-05[PDF] A Companion to the Literature and Culture of the American West
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Cold War Holidays: American Tourism in France (The New Cold War History)
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Theater of Cruelty: Art, Film, and the Shadows of War
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Republic of Taste: Art, Politics, and Everyday Life in Early America (Early American Studies)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Superfortress: The Boeing B-29 and American Airpower in World War II
- 2017-12-01[PDF] The Global Cold War: Third World Interventions and the Making of Our Times
- 2017-12-01[PDF] End of the Cold War: European Unity, Socialism, and the Shift in Global Power
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.