[PDF] Creole Transformation from Slavery to Freedom: Historical Archaeology of the East End Community, St. John, Virgin Is
Posted on 2017-12-15, by luongquocchinh.
Author: DOUGLAS V. ARMSTRONG | Publisher: University Press of Florida | Category: Archaeology | Language: English | Page: 416 | ISBN: 0813025842 | ISBN13: 9780813025841 |
Description: Expanding our perspective on the diversity and consequences of the African Diaspora, Douglas Armstrong explores life in the Virgin Islands for a distinctive black community that gained its freedom from slavery more than 40 years prior to emancipation in 1848. The isolated rural settlement on the far east end of the island of St. John developed within the colonial setting and included primarily, but not exclusively, people of color. Armstrong examines its transformation from a group of small cotton and provisioning estates to community-held and family-owned parcels, and he traces spatial and economic shifts over a period of more than 150 years. The author discusses the region's geography and history and also addresses topics such as maritime trade and exchange, gender roles, and community interrelationships. Utilizing information from extensive archaeological excavations at selected households, Armstrong analyzes an array of documents, including deeds, cash books, and census, tax, and harbor records. Creole Transformation from Slavery to Freedom offers a rare glimpse of how a free Caribbean culture emerged from an 18th-century plantation society. Important to scholars interested in Caribbean peoples and their transformations, this illustrated book also will appeal to scholars of the African Diaspora.
Creole Transformation from Slavery to Freedom: Historical Archaeology of the East End Community, St. John, Virgin Is.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34414
- 2011-11-02Creole Transformation from Slavery to Freedom: Historical Archaeology of the East End Community, St. John, Virgin Is
- 2010-06-25Creole Transformation from Slavery to Freedom: Historical Archaeology of the East End Community, St. John, Virgin Is
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Generations of Somerset Place: From Slavery to Freedom
- 2017-12-30[PDF] The Underground Railroad for Kids: From Slavery to Freedom with 21 Activities (For Kids series)
- 2018-06-24The Underground Railroad Navigate the Journey from Slavery to Freedom With 25 Projects
- 2018-06-11The Underground Railroad Navigate the Journey from Slavery to Freedom With 25 Projects
- 2017-12-05[PDF] New Insights From Recent Studies in Historical Astronomy: Following in the Footsteps of F. Richard Stephenson: A Meeting to Honor F. Richard ... (Astrophysics and Space Science Proceedings)
- 2017-11-05[PDF] Race Horse Men: How Slavery and Freedom Were Made at the Racetrack
- 2016-12-07Generations of Somerset Place From Slavery to Freedom
- 2014-03-14Mary Kay Carson, "The Underground Railroad for Kids: From Slavery to Freedom with 21 Activities"
- 2012-08-19Franklin - from slavery to freedom - 9e, test bank 0072963786 - Removed
- 2018-11-06Deliverance from Slavery Attempting a Biblical Theology in the Service of Liberation
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Blood Matters: From Inherited Illness to Designer Babies, How the World and I Found Ourselves in the Future of the Gene
- 2018-01-30[PDF] College Rodeo: From Show to Sport (Centennial Series of the Association of Former Students, Texas A&M University)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] A Historical Archaeology of the Modern World (Contributions To Global Historical Archaeology)
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Natural Prophets: From Health Foods to Whole Foods How the Pioneers of the Industry Changed the Way We Eat and Reshaped American Business
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Agricultural Finance: From Crops to Land, Water and Infrastructure (The Wiley Finance Series)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Day Trips from Phoenix, Tucson & Flagstaff: Getaway Ideas for the Local Traveler (Day Trips Series)
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Day Trips from New York City: Getaway Ideas For The Local Traveler
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.