Posted on 2018-01-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Matthew Flinders | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 325 | ISBN: 0199271593 | ISBN13: 9780199271597 |
Description: Although there is no doubt that the constitution has been significantly reformed since the election of New Labour in 1997 the degree to which these reforms have altered the nature of democracy in the United Kingdom remains highly contested. A major problem within this debate is that it has become polarized around a binary distinction between power-sharing and power-hoarding models of democracy when the contemporary situation is actually far more complex. This book draws upon theories and methods from comparative political analysis in order to argue and then demonstrate three central and inter-related arguments. Firstly, that the distinctive element of New Labour's approach to constitutional engineering is not that it has shifted the nature of democracy in the United Kingdom from one model to another but has instead sought to apply different models at the periphery and core: bi-constitutionality. Secondly, that contemporary evidence of both increasing levels of public disengagement from conventional politics and falling levels of public trust in politicians, political institutions and political processes originate from the 'expectations gap'. This 'gap' is created by the process of political competition artificially increases public expectations only for these expectations to be dashed as the elected party either seeks to renege upon certain pre-election commitments or fails to achieve them. Finally, democracy in the United Kingdom is currently drifting. The old rules do not appear to suit the new game, and yet the government continues to insist that the old rules still apply. The critical challenge for any future government, of any political complexion, will be to articulate a new form of constitutional morality with the capacity to clarify exactly what its reforms in the sphere of constitutional reform and democratic renewal are seeking to achieve. The analysis offered in this book focuses on the evolution of democracy in the United Kingdom since the election of New Labour in 1997. However in order to achieve both depth and breadth this analysis is then located within the contours of much broader longitudinal and comparative analyses. This involves examining the trajectory of democracy in the United Kingdom from 1945 onwards, and then comparing this long-term view within a much broader comparative perspective to examine the degree to which recent developments in the United Kingdom fit within global democratic trends. My Link
Democratic Drift: Majoritarian Modification and Democratic Anomie in the United Kingdom.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35842
- 2011-09-05Democratic Drift: Majoritarian Modification and Democratic Anomie in the United Kingdom
- 2010-10-06Matthew Flinders "Democratic Drift: Majoritarian Modification and Democratic Anomie in the United Kingdom
- 2010-02-22Democratic Drift: Majoritarian Modification and Democratic Anomie in the United Kingdom
- 2010-02-21Democratic Drift: Majoritarian Modification and Democratic Anomie in the United Kingdom
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Muslim Cool: Race, Religion, and Hip Hop in the United States
- 2017-12-06[PDF] Created Equal: A Social and Political History of the United States, Brief Edition, Combined Volume (2nd Edition)
- 2017-10-17[PDF] High Magnetic Field Science and Its Application in the United States: Current Status and Future Directions
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Created Equal: A Social and Political History of the United States, Brief Edition, Combined Volume (2nd Edition)
- 2017-01-19[PDF] High Magnetic Field Science and Its Application in the United States: Current Status and Future Directions
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Democratic Legitimacy in the European Union and Global Governance: Building a European Demos - Removed
- 2018-11-12The Politics of Preference Democratic Institutions and Affirmative Action in the United States and I...
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Strategic Choices in Science and Technology: Korea in the Era of a Rising China
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Sustainable Transport Development, Innovation and Technology: Proceedings of the 2016 TranSopot Conference (Springer Proceedings in Business and Economics)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Combinations of Intelligent Methods and Applications: Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop, CIMA 2010, France, October 2010 (Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies) - Removed
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Early Modern Tragedy, Gender and Performance, 1984-2000: The Destined Livery - Removed
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Enabling Enterprise Transformation: Business and Grassroots Innovation for the Knowledge Economy (Innovation, Technology, and Knowledge Management) - Removed
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Beyond Displacement: Campesinos, Refugees, and Collective Action in the Salvadoran Civil War (Critical Human Rights)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Local Government, Local Governance and Sustainable Development: Getting the Parameters Right
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Top Secret Tourism: Your Travel Guide to Germ Warfare Laboratories, Clandestine Aircraft Bases and Other Places in the United States You're Not Supposed to Know About
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.