Posted on 2017-02-08, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Daniel L. Everett | Publisher: Pantheon | Category: English | Language: English | Page: 283 | ISBN: 0375425020 | ISBN13: 9780375425028 |
Description: A riveting account of the astonishing experiences and discoveries made by linguist Daniel Everett while he lived with the Piraha, a small tribe of Amazonian Indians in central Brazil. Everett, then a Christian missionary, arrived among the Piraha in 1977with his wife and three young childrenintending to convert them. What he found was a language that defies all existing linguistic theories and reflects a way of life that evades contemporary understanding: The Piraha have no counting system and no fixed terms for color. They have no concept of war or of personal property. They live entirely in the present. Everett became obsessed with their language and its cultural and linguistic implications, and with the remarkable contentment with which they liveso much so that he eventually lost his faith in the God hed hoped to introduce to them. Over three decades, Everett spent a total of seven years among the Piraha, and his account of this lasting sojourn is an engrossing exploration of language that questions modern linguistic theory. It is also an anthropological investigation, an adventure story, and a riveting memoir of a life profoundly affected by exposure to a different culture. Written with extraordinary acuity, sensitivity, and openness, it is fascinating from first to last, rich with unparalleled insight into the nature of language, thought, and life itself.
Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 30889
- 2017-10-29[PDF] Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle
- 2016-10-20Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle
- 2013-05-10Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle (Vintage Departures) (repost)
- 2012-12-29Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle (repost)
- 2012-05-07Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle
- 2011-03-12Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle (Vintage Departures)
- 2017-03-14Don't Sleep, There are Snakes
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Migrant Women's Voices: Talking About Life and Work in the UK Since 1945
- 2018-01-04[PDF] All Men Are Brothers: Life and Thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi, as Told in His Own Words
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Unnatural Selection: How We Are Changing Life, Gene by Gene
- 2017-10-12[PDF] Hegarty on Creativity: There Are No Rules
- 2019-07-29#$(Favorable) - Why You Should Read Where the Water Goes: Life and Death Along the Colorado River by David Owen Online or Download [^PDF ^EPUB ^MOBI]
- 2019-07-23_ (A-Z Books) - Why You Should Read That Good Night: Life and Medicine in the Eleventh Hour by Sunita Puri Online or Download [@PDF @EPUB @MOBI]
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Character Makeover: 40 Days with a Life Coach to Create the Best You
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Bionarrative: The story of life and hope for the future
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Our Women Are Free: Gender and Ethnicity in the Hindukush
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Life and Times of the Atomic Bomb: Nuclear Weapons and the Transformation of Warfare
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Battlefield Surgeon: Life and Death on the Front Lines of World War II (American Warrior Series)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Rudolf Steiner: An Introduction to His Life and Work
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.