Posted on 2017-11-13, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Bruce Clarke, Mark B.N. Hansen | Category: Computer Science | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 0822346001 |
Description: Emerging in the 1940s, the first cybernetics - the study of communication and control systems - was mainstreamed under the names Artificial Intelligence and computer science and taken up by the social sciences, the humanities, and the creative arts. In "Emergence and Embodiment", Bruce Clarke and Mark B. N. Hansen focus on cybernetic developments that stem from the second-order turn in the 1970s, when the cyberneticist Heinz von Foerster catalyzed new thinking about the cognitive implications of self-referential systems. The crucial shift he inspired was from first-order cybernetics' attention to homeostasis as a mode of autonomous self-regulation in mechanical and informatic systems, to second-order concepts of self-organization and autopoiesis in embodied and metabiotic systems. The collection opens with an interview with von Foerster and then traces the lines of neocybernetic thought that have followed from his work. In response to the apparent dissolution of boundaries at work in the contemporary technosciences of emergence, neocybernetics observes that cognitive systems are operationally bounded, semi-autonomous entities coupled with their environments and to other systems. Second-order systems theory stresses the recursive complexities of observation, mediation, and communication. Focused on the neocybernetic contributions of von Foerster, Francisco Varela, and Niklas Luhmann, this collection advances theoretical debates about the cultural, philosophical, and literary uses of their ideas. In addition to the interview with von Foerster, "Emergence and Embodiment" includes essays by Varela and Luhmann. It engages with Humberto Maturana and Varela's creation of the concept of autopoiesis, Varela's later work on neurophenomenology, and Luhmann's adaptations of autopoiesis to social systems theory. Taken together, these essays illuminate the shared commitments uniting the broader discourse of neocybernetics.
Emergence and Embodiment: New Essays on Second-Order Systems Theory.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33409
- 2011-08-22Emergence and Embodiment: New Essays on Second-Order Systems Theory (Science and Cultural Theory)
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Politics and Process: New Essays in Democratic Thought
- 2017-10-19[PDF] Jesus and Philosophy: New Essays
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Classification, Disease and Evidence: New Essays in the Philosophy of Medicine (History, Philosophy and Theory of the Life Sciences) - Removed
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Reason, Metaphysics, and Mind: New Essays on the Philosophy of Alvin Plantinga
- 2017-11-13[PDF] Making India Awesome - New Essays and columns
- 2017-10-12[PDF] Contemporary Kantian Metaphysics: New Essays on Space and Time - Removed
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Contemporary Kantian Metaphysics: New Essays on Space and Time
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Reason, Metaphysics, and Mind: New Essays on the Philosophy of Alvin Plantinga
- 2019-01-15Frames, Fields, and Contrasts New Essays in Semantic and Lexical Organization
- 2019-01-10Frames, Fields, and Contrasts New Essays in Semantic and Lexical Organization
- 2018-12-25Frames, Fields, and Contrasts New Essays in Semantic and Lexical Organization
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Globalization and the New Politics of Embedded Liberalism
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Law and the New Logics
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Plants and Health: New Perspectives on the Health-Environment-Plant Nexus (Ethnobiology) - Removed
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Promises and Agreements: Philosophical Essays
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Principles and Practice of Grief Counseling, Second Edition
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Marx and the New Individual
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Policies and Research in Identity Management: Second IFIP WG 11.6 Working Conference, IDMAN 2010, Oslo, Norway, November 18-19, 2010, Proceedings ... in Information and Communication Technology) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.