[PDF] Every Twelve Seconds: Industrialized Slaughter and the Politics of Sight (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
Posted on 2017-11-05, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Timothy Pachirat | Category: Agriculture | Language: English | Page: 320 | ISBN: 0300152671 | ISBN13: 9780300152678 |
Description: This is an account of industrialized killing from a participantâ€™s point of view. The author, political scientist Timothy Pachirat, was employed undercover for five months in a Great Plains slaughterhouse where 2,500 cattle were killed per dayâ€”one every twelve seconds. Working in the cooler as a liver hanger, in the chutes as a cattle driver, and on the kill floor as a food-safety quality-control worker, Pachirat experienced firsthand the realities of the work of killing in modern society. He uses those experiences to explore not only the slaughter industry but also how, as a society, we facilitate violent labor and hide away that which is too repugnant to contemplate. Through his vivid narrative and ethnographic approach, Pachirat brings to life massive, routine killing from the perspective of those who take part in it. He shows how surveillance and sequestration operate within the slaughterhouse and in its interactions with the community at large. He also considers how society is organized to distance and hide uncomfortable realities from view. With much to say about issues ranging from the sociology of violence and modern food production to animal rights and welfare, Every Twelve Seconds is an important and disturbing work.
Every Twelve Seconds: Industrialized Slaughter and the Politics of Sight (Yale Agrarian Studies Series).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33167
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Every Twelve Seconds: Industrialized Slaughter and the Politics of Sight (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Planning Democracy: Agrarian Intellectuals and the Intended New Deal (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2017-01-16[PDF] Planning Democracy: Agrarian Intellectuals and the Intended New Deal (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Collecting Food, Cultivating People: Subsistence and Society in Central Africa (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Crop Genetic Diversity in the Field and on the Farm: Principles and Applications in Research Practices (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Imperial Nature: The World Bank and Struggles for Social Justice in the Age of Globalization (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2017-10-12[PDF] Safe Space: Gay Neighborhood History and the Politics of Violence (Perverse Modernities: A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe)
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Imperial Nature: The World Bank and Struggles for Social Justice in the Age of Globalization (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2010-07-04Muscular Judaism: The Jewish Body and the Politics of Regeneration (Routledge Jewish Studies Series)
- 2011-05-02Revolution, Resistance, and Reform in Village China (Yale Agrarian Studies Series) - Removed
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Rites of Return: Diaspora Poetics and the Politics of Memory (Gender and Culture Series) - Removed
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Barbed Wire Diplomacy: Britain, Germany, and the Politics of Prisoners of War, 1939-1945
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Building Home: Howard F. Ahmanson and the Politics of the American Dream
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Early Orientalism: Imagined Islam and the Notion of Sublime Power (Islamic Studies Series)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Deleuze's Literary Clinic: Criticism and the Politics of Symptoms (Plateaus New Directions in Deleuze Studies)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Postwar History Education in Japan and the Germanys: Guilty Lessons (Routledge Contemporary Japan Series)
- 2017-12-27[PDF] An Alliance Of Women: Immigration And The Politics Of Race
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Producing Security: Multinational Corporations, Globalization, and the Changing Calculus of Conflict (Princeton Studies in International History and Politics)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Fat Gay Men: Girth, Mirth, and the Politics of Stigma (Intersections)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.