Posted on 2017-11-28, by luongquocchinh.
Author: David Yaffe | Publisher: Princeton University Press | Category: Music | Language: English | Page: 240 | ISBN: 0691123578 | ISBN13: 9780691123578 |
Description: How have American writers written about jazz, and how has jazz influenced American literature? In Fascinating Rhythm, David Yaffe explores the relationship and interplay between jazz and literature, looking at jazz musicians and the themes literature has garnered from them by appropriating the style, tones, and innovations of jazz, and demonstrating that the poetics of jazz has both been assimilated into, and deeply affected, the development of twentieth-century American literature. Yaffe explores how Jewish novelists such as Norman Mailer, J. D. Salinger, and Philip Roth engaged issues of racial, ethnic, and American authenticity by way of jazz how Ralph Ellison's descriptions of Louis Armstrong led to a "neoconservative" movement in contemporary jazz how poets such as Wallace Stevens, Hart Crane, Langston Hughes, and Frank O'Hara were variously inspired by the music and how memoirs by Billie Holiday, Charles Mingus, and Miles Davis both reinforced and redeemed the red light origins of jazz. The book confronts the current jazz discourse and shows how poets and novelists can be placed in it--often with problematic results. Fascinating Rhythm stops to listen for the music, demonstrating how jazz continues to speak for the American writer.
Fascinating Rhythm: Reading Jazz in American Writing.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33871
- 2011-12-19Fascinating Rhythm - Reading Jazz in American Writing
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Super-Fun Reading & Writing Skill Builders (Grades 3-6)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Guide to Reading & Writing Japanese: Third Edition
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Natural English: Reading and Writing Skills Resource Book Intermediate level
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Reading Jazz: A Gathering of Autobiography, Reportage, and Criticism from 1919 to Now
- 2017-12-27[PDF] The Writer,s Response: A Reading-Based Approach to Writing, 6th Edition
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Gnostic America: A Reading of Contemporary American Culture & Religion according to Christianity's Oldest Heresy
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Democracy's Spectacle: Sovereignty and Public Life in Antebellum American Writing (American Literatures Initiative)
- 2017-12-14[PDF] The New Blue Music: Changes in Rhythm & Blues, 1950-1999 (American Made Music)
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Local Literacies: Reading and Writing in One Community (Routledge Linguistics Classics)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing: A Brief Guide to Argument
- 2017-12-08[PDF] Fields of Reading: Motives for Writing, Seventh Edition
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Buried Caesars, And Other Secrets Of Italian American Writing (Suny Series in Italian/American Studies)
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Spirits Rejoice!: Jazz and American Religion
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Encyclopedia of African American Writing
- 2017-11-28[PDF] Women and Experience in Later Medieval Writing: Reading the Book of Life (The New Middle Ages)
- 2017-11-14[PDF] 8th Grade Reading Comprehension and Writing Skills Test
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Chasing Literacy: Reading and Writing in an Age of Acceleration
- 2017-11-04[PDF] Fields of Reading: Motives for Writing
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.