Posted on 2017-12-14, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Martin Thomas | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 560 | ISBN: 0199698279 | ISBN13: 9780199698271 |
Description: Although shattered by war, in 1945 Britain and France still controlled the world's two largest colonial empires, with imperial territories stretched over four continents. And they appeared determined to keep them: the roll-call of British and French politicians, soldiers, settlers and writers who promised in word and print at this time to defend their colonial possessions at all costs is a long one. Yet, within twenty years both empires had almost completely disappeared. The collapse was cataclysmic. Peaceable 'transfers of power' were eclipsed by episodes of territorial partition and mass violence whose bitter aftermath still lingers. Hundreds of millions across four continents were caught up in the biggest reconfiguration of the international system ever seen. In the meantime, even the most dogged imperialists, who had once stiffly defended imperial rule, ultimately bent to the wind of change. By the early 1950s Winston Churchill had retreated from his wartime pledge to keep Britain's Empire intact. And General de Gaulle, who quit the French presidency in 1946 complaining that France's new post-war democracy would never hang on to the country's imperial prizes, narrowly escaped assassination a generation later - after negotiating the humiliating French withdrawal from Algeria. Fight or Flight is the first ever comparative account of this dramatic collapse, explaining the end of the British and French colonial empires as an intertwined, even co-dependent process. Decolonization gathered momentum, not as an empire-specific affair, but as a global one, in which the wider march of twentieth-century history played a vital part: industrial concentration and global depression, World War and Cold War, Communism and other anti-colonial ideologies, mass consumerism and the allure of American popular culture. Above all, as Martin Thomas shows, the internationalization of colonial affairs made it impossible to contain colonial problems locally, spelling the end for Europe's two largest colonial empires in less than two decades from the end of the Second World War.
Fight or Flight: Britain, France, and the Roads from Empire.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34365
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Fight or Flight: Britain, France, and the Roads from Empire
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Great Frontier War: Britain, France, and the Imperial Struggle for North America, 1607-1755
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Money Politics in the New Europe: Britain, France and the Single Financial Market
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Money Politics in the New Europe: Britain, France and the Single Financial Market
- 2017-01-14[PDF] The Great Frontier War: Britain, France, and the Imperial Struggle for North America, 1607-1755
- 2019-01-15A Line in the Sand Britain, France and the struggle that shaped the Middle East [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-10A Line in the Sand Britain, France and the struggle that shaped the Middle East [Audiobook]
- 2018-12-25A Line in the Sand Britain, France and the struggle that shaped the Middle East [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Barbed Wire Diplomacy: Britain, Germany, and the Politics of Prisoners of War, 1939-1945
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Mediaeval Furniture: Furniture in England, France and the Netherlands from the Twelfth to the Fifteenth Century
- 2017-10-31Transforming Military Power since the Cold War: Britain, France, and the United States, 1991-2012
- 2017-10-05[PDF] Bolt Action: Armies of France and the Allies
- 2017-02-07[PDF] Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea
- 2009-08-05Britain, France and the Entente Cordiale since 1904 (Studies in Military & Strategic History) - Removed
- 2019-03-23The Temptations of Trade: Britain, Spain, and the Struggle for Empire
- 2017-11-20[PDF] After Empires: European Integration, Decolonization, and the Challenge from the Global South 1957-1986 (Oxford Studies in Modern European History)
- 2017-11-01[PDF] Darkest Before Dawn: U-482 and the Sinking of Empire Heritage 1944
- 2017-10-30[PDF] A History of Britain - Volume 3: The Fate of Empire 1776-2000
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.