Posted on 2017-12-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: National Maritime Museum | Category: Astronomy and Cosmology | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 0007525869 | ISBN13: 9780007525867 |
Description: Official publication of the National Maritime Museum's exhibition "Ships, Clocks and Stars: The Quest for Longitude". 300 years ago, amidst growing frustration from the naval community and pressure from the increasing importance of international trade, the British government passed the 1714 Longitude Act. It was an attempt to solve one of the most pressing problems of the age: how to determine a ship's longitude (east-west position) at sea. With life-changing rewards on offer, the challenge captured the imaginations and talents of astronomers, skilled craftsmen, politicians, seamen and satirists. This beautifully illustrated book is a detailed account of these stories, and how the longitude problem was solved. Highlights of the book include: * Foreword by the fifteenth Astronomer Royal, Martin Rees. * Specially commissioned photographs of the National Maritime Museum's collection. * A new description of the collaborations and conflicts in a tale of technical creativity, scientific innovation and hard commercialism. From the same publisher as Dava Sobel's Longitude, Finding Longitude tells a new story of one of the great achievements of the Georgian age, and how it changed our understanding of the world.
Finding Longitude: How Ships, Clocks and Stars Helped Solve the Longitude Problem.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34703
- 2016-12-22[PDF] Finding Longitude: How Ships, Clocks and Stars Helped Solve the Longitude Problem
- 2017-10-21[PDF] Macachiavellian Intelligence: How Rhesus Macaques and Humans Have Conquered the World
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Macachiavellian Intelligence: How Rhesus Macaques and Humans Have Conquered the World
- 2018-02-01[PDF] How We Live and Why We Die: The Secret Lives of Cells
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Finding Equilibrium: Arrow, Debreu, McKenzie and the Problem of Scientific Credit
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Dynamic Internet: How Technology, Users, and Businesses are Transforming the Network
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Pure Evil: How Tracie Andrews murdered my son, decieved the nation and sentenced me to a life of pain and misery
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Work of Leaders: How Vision, Alignment, and Execution Will Change the Way You Lead
- 2018-01-23[PDF] TTC Video - How to Read and Understand Shakespeare
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Shaping Humanity: How Science, Art, and Imagination Help Us Understand Our Origins
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Get Smart: How to Think and Act Like the Most Successful and Highest-Paid People in Every Field [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Finding Sanity: John Cade, Lithium and the Taming of Bipolar Disorder
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Rebuilding Empires: How Best Buy and Other Retailers are Transforming and Competing in the Digital Age of Retailing
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Personal Cybersecurity: How to Avoid and Recover from Cybercrime
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book (Design Brief)
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Smart Pricing: How Google, Priceline, and Leading Businesses Use Pricing Innovation for Profitability
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Killing the Host: How Financial Parasites and Debt Bondage Destroy the Global Economy
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Penny Stocks: How to Buy and Trade Penny Stocks for Massive Profits
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Super-Charged: How Outlaws, Hippies, and Scientists Reinvented Marijuana
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.