[PDF] Floodpath: The Deadliest Man-Made Disaster of 20th-Century America and the Making of Modern Los Angeles
Posted on 2017-10-23, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Jon Wilkman | Category: Civil Engineering | Language: English | Page: 336 | ISBN: 1620409151 | ISBN13: 9781620409152 |
Description: Just before midnight on March 12, 1928, the St. Francis Dam, a twenty-story-high concrete structure just fifty miles north of Los Angeles, suddenly collapsed, releasing a devastating flood that roared fifty-four miles to the Pacific Ocean, destroying everything in its path. It was a horrific catastrophe, yet one which today is virtually forgotten. With research gathered over more than two decades, award-winning writer and filmmaker Jon Wilkman revisits the deluge that claimed nearly five hundred lives. A key figure is William Mulholland, the self-taught engineer who created an unprecedented water system, allowing Los Angeles to become America's second-largest city, and who was also responsible for the design and construction of the St. Francis Dam. Driven by eyewitness accounts and combining urban history with a life-and-death drama and a technological detective story, Floodpath grippingly reanimates the reality behind L.A. noir fictions such as the classic film Chinatown. In an era of climate change, increasing demand on water resources, and a neglected American infrastructure, the tragedy of the St. Francis Dam has never been more relevant.
Floodpath: The Deadliest Man-Made Disaster of 20th-Century America and the Making of Modern Los Angeles.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32684
- 2016-07-06Floodpath The Deadliest Man-Made Disaster of 20th-Century America and the Making of Modern Los A...
- 2017-11-19[PDF] The Shifting Grounds of Race: Black and Japanese Americans in the Making of Multiethnic Los Angeles (Politics and Society in Twentieth-Century America)
- 2010-06-14A World of Its Own: Race, Labor, and Citrus in the Making of Greater Los Angeles, 1900-1970
- 2019-07-26%(Recommended) - Why You Should Read The Game of Our Lives: The English Premier League and the Making of Modern Britain by David Goldblatt Online or Download [MOBI EPUB PDF]
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Bodies of Difference: Experiences of Disability and Institutional Advocacy in the Making of Modern China
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Statistical Methods in Radio Wave Propagation: Proceedings of a Symposium Held at the University of California, Los Angeles, June 18-20, 1958
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Gandhi: The Father of Modern India (What's Their Story?)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Literary Coteries and the Making of Modern Print Culture: 1740-1790
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Making of Modern Liberalism
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Newton: The Making of Genius
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Total Wars and the Making of Modern Ukraine, 1914-1954
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Mythistory: The Making of a Modern Historiography
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Antique Electric Waffle Irons 1900-1960: A History of the Appliance Industry in 20th Century America
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Making of Modern Finance: Liberal Governance and the Gold Standard (RIPE Series in Global Political Economy)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Unflinching: The Making of a Canadian Sniper
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Statistics and the German State, 1900-1945: The Making of Modern Economic Knowledge (Cambridge Studies in Modern Economic History) [German]
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The Making of Modern South Africa: Conquest, Apartheid, Democracy
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Impossible Subjects: Illegal Aliens and the Making of Modern America (Politics and Society in Twentieth-Century America)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] On the Loom: A Modern Weaver's Guide
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.