[PDF] Foreign Words: Translator-Authors in the Age of Goethe (Kritik: German Literary Theory and Cultural Studies Series) [German]
Posted on 2018-01-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Susan Bernofsky | Category: German | Language: German | Page: 252 | ISBN: 0814332226 | ISBN13: 9780814332221 |
Description: The turn of the nineteenth century was a particularly fertile period in the history of translation theory and practice. With an unprecedented number of works being carefully translated and scrutinized, this era saw a definite shift in the dominant mode of translation. Many translators began attempting, for the first time, to communicate the formal characteristics, linguistic features, and cultural contexts of the original text while minimizing the paraphrasing that distorted most eighteenth-century translations. As soon as these new rules became the norm, authorial translators-defined not by virtue of being authors in their own right but by the liberties they took in their translations-emerged to challenge them, altering translated texts in such a way as to bring them into line with the artistic and thematic concerns displayed in the translators' own "original" work. In the process, authorial translators implicitly declared translation an art form and explicitly incorporated it into their theoretical programs for the poetic arts. Foreign Words provides a detailed account of translation practice and theory throughout the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, linking the work of actual translators to the theories of translation articulated by Goethe, Wilhelm von Humboldt, and, above all, Friedrich Schleiermacher. Employing a variety of critical approaches, author Susan Bernofsky discusses in depth the work of Kleist, Hlderlin, and Goethe, whose virtuoso translations raise issues that serve to delineate a theory of translation that has relevance at the turn of the twenty-first century as well. Combining a broad historical approach with individual readings of the work of several different translators, Foreign Words paints a full picture of translation during the Age of Goethe and provides all scholars of translation theory with an important new perspective.
Foreign Words: Translator-Authors in the Age of Goethe (Kritik: German Literary Theory and Cultural Studies Series) [German].pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35822
- 2017-10-10[PDF] Five Words: Critical Semantics in the Age of Shakespeare and Cervantes
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Five Words: Critical Semantics in the Age of Shakespeare and Cervantes
- 2017-04-13[PDF] You Are Being Lied To: The Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes and Cultural Myths
- 2017-04-05[PDF] The Complete Idiot's Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism (Idiot's Guides)
- 2012-01-28Musical Form in the Age of Beethoven: Selected Writings on Theory and Method (Repost)
- 2011-07-08Musical Form in the Age of Beethoven: Selected Writings on Theory and Method (Cambridge Studies in Music Theory and Analysis)
- 2011-05-30Musical Form in the Age of Beethoven: Selected Writings on Theory and Method
- 2009-10-15Icon, Brand, Myth: The Calgary Stampede (The West Unbound: Social and Cultural Studies Series)
- 2009-03-27The Construction of Optimal Stated Choice Experiments: Theory and Methods (Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Age of Reform, 1250-1550: An Intellectual and Religious History of Late Medieval and Reformation Europe
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Irony in the Age of Empire: Comic Perspectives on Democracy and Freedom (American Philosophy)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Partial Faiths: Postsecular Fiction in the Age of Pynchon and Morrison
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Figures of Natality: Reading the Political in the Age of Goethe (New Directions in German Studies)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] What Algorithms Want: Imagination in the Age of Computing (MIT Press)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Plato's Revenge: Politics in the Age of Ecology
- 2018-01-25[PDF] English Words: A Linguistic Introduction (The Language Library)
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Carbon Democracy: Political Power in the Age of Oil
- 2018-01-17[PDF] American Enlightenments: Pursuing Happiness in the Age of Reason (The Lewis Walpole Series in Eighteenth-Century Culture and History)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] 500 Words, Phrases, Idioms for the TOEFL iBT Plus Typing Strategies
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.