Posted on 2017-12-19, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Eliza Granville | Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover | Category: Fiction Other | Language: English | Page: 352 | ISBN: 1594632553 | ISBN13: 9781594632556 |
Description: Granville blends together an 1899 Vienna-setting, a late 1930s/1940s German setting and the darker sides of fairy tales into a seamless and wonderful whole. Some elements of the plot are more expected than others, but the richness of the prose adds to the book's absorbing nature. The darkness of the fairy tales works well in highlighting the anti-Semitism present in the Vienna storyline as well as young Krysta's storyline in Nazi Germany. All of the characters completely come to life particularly the obstinate Krysta and the rather dreamy Lilie. Mixing in fairy tales with World War II is hardly a rarity in fiction (there's a lot of success to be found in The Book of Lost Things, The True Story of Hansel and Gretel: A Novel of War and Survival, and even the young adult The Book Thief), yet Granville's unique style makes this feel completely fresh. There is plenty of horror here, but this is balanced with moments of comedy (I especially love Greet and Gudrun so even the minor characters leap off the page) and even beauty and love. Some of the German phrases may pull some readers out, but typically they are translated or there are enough contextual clues for the meaning to be clear - only a few times did I reach for Google Translate. It's an incredibly polished first novel and I am genuinely looking forward to seeing what Granville will create next - this is a masterpiece and one that is a genuine pleasure to read, even in its most gruesome moments. I am partial to the incorporation of fairy tales, and this is wonderfully accomplished here. I think that this will be a good choice for book discussion groups and clubs and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for Granville's work in the future!
Gretel and the Dark: A Novel.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34528
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Grace and the Preacher: A Novel
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Tor and the Dark Net: The Lowdown on the Deep Web Staying Anonymous Online, Evading NSA Spying, and Organizing Social Revolution
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Glory and the Lightning: A Novel of Ancient Greece
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Tor And The Dark Net: Learn To Avoid NSA Spying And Become Anonymous Online (Dark Net, Tor, Dark Web, Tor Books) (Volume 1)
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Tor and the Dark Art of Anonymity: How to Be Invisible from NSA Spying
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Shame and the Captives: A Novel
- 2017-10-30[PDF] History and the Early English Novel: Matters of Fact from Bacon to Defoe (Cambridge Studies in Eighteenth-Century English Literature and Thought)
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Death and the Devil: A Novel
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Gretel and the Case of the Missing Frog Prints: A Brothers Grimm Mystery
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Turik and the Dark Sorceress (Turik Saga Book 4)
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Hunters in the Dark: A Novel
- 2017-10-19[PDF] Fires in the Dark: A Novel
- 2017-10-16[PDF] Girl in the Dark: A Novel
- 2017-10-11[PDF] Tor and The Dark Net: Remain Anonymous and Evade NSA Spying
- 2016-12-26[PDF] Death and the Devil: A Novel
- 2016-12-23[PDF] Fires in the Dark: A Novel
- 2017-11-27[PDF] And the Dark Sacred Night: A Novel
- 2017-01-17[PDF] And the Dark Sacred Night: A Novel
- 2019-09-08The Origin of Life and the Transmutation of the Human Race
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.