Posted on 2017-12-05, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Timothy Gloege | Publisher: The University of North Carolina Press | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 328 | ISBN: 1469621010 | ISBN13: 9781469621012 |
Description: American evangelicalism has long walked hand in hand with modern consumer capitalism. Timothy Gloege shows us why, through an engaging story about God and big business at the Moody Bible Institute. Founded in Chicago by shoe-salesman-turned-revivalist Dwight Lyman Moody in 1889, the institute became a center of fundamentalism under the guidance of the innovative promoter and president of Quaker Oats, Henry Crowell. Gloege explores the framework for understanding humanity shared by these business and evangelical leaders, whose perspectives clearly differed from those underlying modern scientific theories. At the core of their "corporate evangelical" framework was a modern individualism understood primarily in terms of economic relations. Conservative evangelicalism and modern business grew symbiotically, transforming the ways that Americans worshipped, worked, and consumed. Gilded Age evangelicals initially understood themselves primarily as new "Christian workers" employees of God guided by their divine contract, the Bible. But when these ideas were put to revolutionary ends by Populists, corporate evangelicals reimagined themselves as savvy religious consumers and reformulated their beliefs. Their consumer-oriented "orthodoxy" displaced traditional creeds and undermined denominational authority, forever altering the American religious landscape. Guaranteed pure of both liberal theology and Populist excesses, this was a new form of old-time religion not simply compatible with modern consumer capitalism but uniquely dependent on it.
Guaranteed Pure: The Moody Bible Institute, Business, and the Making of Modern Evangelicalism.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34080
- 2017-04-11[PDF] Domesticity in the Making of Modern Science - Removed
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Security Systems Simplified: Protecting Your Home, Business, And Car With State-Of-The-Art Burglar Alarms
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Punishment for Sale: Private Prisons, Big Business, and the Incarceration Binge (Issues in Crime and Justice)
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Instagram: How To Use Instagram For Business And Fun - The Ultimate Guide to Instagram Marketing For Beginners (Instagram Marketing, Instagram For Business, Social Media Marketing)
- 2019-07-26%(Recommended) - Why You Should Read The Game of Our Lives: The English Premier League and the Making of Modern Britain by David Goldblatt Online or Download [MOBI EPUB PDF]
- 2018-08-13Business and Society Making Management Education Relevant for the 21st Century
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Analytical Corporate Finance (Springer Texts in Business and Economics)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Bodies of Difference: Experiences of Disability and Institutional Advocacy in the Making of Modern China
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Guide to Microsoft Excel 2002 for Business and Management, Second Edition
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Literary Coteries and the Making of Modern Print Culture: 1740-1790
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Big Data Computing: A Guide for Business and Technology Managers (Chapman & Hall/CRC Big Data Series)
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Making of Modern Liberalism
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Total Wars and the Making of Modern Ukraine, 1914-1954
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Essential Mathematics: A Refresher Course for Business and Social Studies - Removed
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Stealth Patrol: The Making of a Vietnam Ranger, 1968-70
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Citizens in the Making in Post-Soviet States (BASEES/Routledge Series on Russian and East European Studies)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Greener Products: The Making and Marketing of Sustainable Brands
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Before Galileo: The Birth of Modern Science in Medieval Europe
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Making of Modern Finance: Liberal Governance and the Gold Standard (RIPE Series in Global Political Economy)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.