Posted on 2017-12-16, by luongquocchinh.
Author: David R. Woodward | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 280 | ISBN: 0813123836 | ISBN13: 9780813123837 |
Description: In the modern popular imagination, the British Army's campaign in the Middle East during World War I is considered somehow less brutal than the fighting on European battlefields. A romantic view of this conflict has been further encouraged by such films as Lawrence of Arabia and The Light Horsemen. In Hell in the Holy Land, David R. Woodward uses graphic eyewitness accounts from the diaries, letters, and memoirs of British soldiers who fought in that war to describe in rigorous detail the genuine experience of the fighting and dying in Egypt and Palestine. The massive flow of troops and equipment to Egypt eventually made that country host to the largest British military base outside of Britain and France. Though many soldiers found the atmosphere in Cairo exotic, the desert countryside made the fundamentals of fighting and troop maintenance extremely difficult. The intense heat frequently sickened soldiers, and unruly camels were the only practical means of transport across the soft sands of the Sinai. The constant shortage of potable water was a persistent problem for the troops one soldier recalled, "It is impossible to realize the depth a man will sink to endeavor to appease the terrible horror of thirst." The voices of these British soldiers offer a forgotten perspective of the Great War, describing not only the physical and psychological toll of combat but the daily struggles of soldiers who were stationed in an unfamiliar environment that often proved just as antagonistic as the enemy. A soldier of the Dorset Yeomanry, stationed in Egypt, wrote: "There are three sounds in Egypt which never cease-the creaking of the waterwheels, the song of the frogs, and the buzz of flies. . . . Letter writing is an impossibility in the evening, for as soon as the sun goes down, if a lamp is lighted, the air all round is thick with little grey sand-flies which bite disgustingly." Using archival records, many from the Imperial War Museum in London, England, Woodward paints a vivid picture of the mayhem, terror, boredom, filth, and sacrifice that marked the daily life of British soldiers in the Middle East. In telling the story of these soldiers, Woodward provides a personal history of a campaign that laid the groundwork for the continuing turmoil in the Middle East.
Hell in the Holy Land: World War 1 in the Middle East.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34432
- 2010-08-30Hell in the Holy Land: World War 1 in the Middle East
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Countries of the Middle East (World in Conflict-the Middle East)
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Women of the Middle East (World in Conflict (Abdo))
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Archaeologies of the Middle East: Critical Perspectives
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Minorities in the Middle East: A History of Struggle and Self-Expression
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Britain and the Middle East in the 9/11 Era
- 2017-12-08[PDF] Democratization in the Middle East: Experiences, Struggles, Challenges (The Changing Nature of Democracy)
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Archaeologies of the Middle East: Critical Perspectives (Wiley Blackwell Studies in Global Archaeology)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Women in the Middle East: Past and Present
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Proconsul to the Middle East: Sir Percy Cox and the End of Empire
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Cities of the Middle East and North Africa: A Historical Encyclopedia
- 2012-06-07The German Army in World War II (Osprey General Military) - Removed
- 2012-06-07The Reich Intruders: Dramatic RAF Medium Bomber Raids Over Europe in World War Two
- 2012-06-03The Spicer Web: The Romance of a Flying-Boat Flight in the First World War
- 2012-05-22Aircraft of World War II (The Aviation Factfile)
- 2012-05-21The Royal Air Force of World War Two In Colour
- 2012-05-20Over There!: The American Soldier in World War I (The G.I.Series #7)
- 2012-05-19German Helmets Of The Second World War Vol.2
- 2012-05-16The Horse Soldier 1776-1943 Vol.IV: World War I, the Peacetime Army, World War II 1917-1943
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.