Posted on 2017-12-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Mieka Brand Polanco | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 208 | ISBN: 0814762883 | ISBN13: 9780814762882 |
Description: In Historically Black, Mieka Brand Polanco examines the concept of community in the United States: how communities are experienced and understood, the complex relationship between human beings and their social and physical landscapesâ€”and how the term â€œcommunityâ€ is sometimes conjured to feign a cohesiveness that may not actually exist. Drawing on ethnographic and historical materials from Union, Virginia, Historically Black offers a nuanced and sensitive portrait of a federally recognized Historic District under the category â€œEthnic Heritageâ€”Black.â€ Since Union has been home to a racially mixed population since at least the late 19th century, calling it â€œhistorically blackâ€ poses some curious existential questions to the black residents who currently live there. Unionâ€™s identity as a â€œhistorically black communityâ€ encourages a perception of the town as a monochromatic and monohistoric landscape, effectively erasing both old-timer white residents and newcomer black residents while allowing newer white residents to take on a proud role as preservers of history Gestures to â€œcommunityâ€ gloss an oversimplified perspective of race, history and space that conceals much of the richness (and contention) of lived reality in Union, as well as in the larger United States. They allow Americans to avoid important conversations about the complex and unfolding nature by which groups of people and social/physical landscapes are conceptualized as a single unified whole. This multi-layered, multi-textured ethnography explores a key concept, inviting public conversation about the dynamic ways in which race, space, and history inform our experiences and understanding of community.
Historically Black: Imagining Community in a Black Historic District.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34722
- 2019-03-08A-PDF to Black/White 3.1.1
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Black Hole of Public Administration
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Black Stallion and the Girl
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Black Lily
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Black Book,by James Patterson [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Black Book,by James Patterson
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Jet Black and the Ninja Wind
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Black Book of Canadian Foreign Policy
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Black Company: The First Novel of 'The Chronicles of The Black Company'
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Black Tortoise: A Peter Strand Mystery (Rapid Reads)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Black Panther Story
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Black Earth: Ecological Principles for Sustainable Agriculture on Chernozem Soils (International Year of Planet Earth) - Removed
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Theorizing Black Theatre: Art Versus Protest in Critical Writings, 1898-1965
- 2018-01-26[PDF] From Black Power to Black Studies: How a Radical Social Movement Became an Academic Discipline
- 2018-01-25[PDF] THE BLACK HOLE
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Basic Black: 26 Edgy Essentials for the Modern Wardrobe
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Black Sheep - Sophie McKenzie
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Digital Black & White Landscape Photography: Fine Art Techniques from Camera to Print
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Red, Black, and Jew: New Frontiers in Hebrew Literature (Jewish History, Life, and Culture)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.