Posted on 2017-11-22, by luongquocchinh.
Author: James L. Kugel | Publisher: Free Press | Category: Christianity | Language: English | Page: 848 | ISBN: 074323586X | ISBN13: 9780743235860 |
Description: In How to Read the Bible, Harvard professor James Kugel leads the listener through the "quiet revolution" of recent biblical scholarship, showing how radically the interpretations of today's researchers differ from what people have always thought. The story of Adam and Eve, it turns out, was not originally about the "Fall of Man," but about the move from a primitive, hunter-gatherer society to a settled, agricultural one. As for the stories of Cain and Abel, Abraham and Sarah, and Jacob and Esau, they were not about individual people at all but, rather, explanations of Israelite society as it existed centuries after these figures were said to have lived. In the earliest version of the Exodus story, Moses probably did not divide the Red Sea in half instead, the Egyptians perished in a storm at sea. Whatever the original Ten Commandments might have been, scholars are quite sure they were different from the ones we have today. What's more, the people long supposed to have written various books of the Bible were not their real authors: David did not write the Psalms, Solomon did not write Proverbs. Such findings pose a problem for adherents of traditional, Bible-based faiths. Hiding from the discoveries of modern scholars seems dishonest, but accepting them means undermining much of the Bible's reliability and authority as the word of God. What to do? In his search for a solution, Kugel leads the listener back to ancient biblical interpreters who flourished at the end of the biblical period. Far from nave, these interpreters consciously set out to depart from the original meaning of the Bible's various stories and propheciesand they, Kugel argues, hold the key to solving the dilemma of reading the Bible today. How to Read the Bible is, quite simply, the best, most original audiobook about the Bible in decades. Clear, often funny, but deeply serious in its purpose, this is a book for Christians and Jews, believers and secularists alike.
How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33683
- 2017-11-13[PDF] How to Read the Bible
- 2016-12-28[PDF] How to Read the Bible
- 2017-12-18[PDF] How to Read the Qur'an: A New Guide, with Select Translations
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Book of the People: How to Read the Bible
- 2017-11-12[PDF] The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible
- 2017-10-13[PDF] How to Read the Solar System: A Guide to the Stars and Planets
- 2017-01-19[PDF] The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible
- 2019-07-12* (Admirable) - Why You Should Read The Walker's Guide to Outdoor Clues and Signs by Tristan Gooley Online or Download [*MOBI *PDF *EPUB]
- 2018-12-07How to Read the Bible Book by Book A Guided Tour
- 2018-11-22How to Read the Bible Book by Book A Guided Tour
- 2018-11-21How to Read the Bible Book by Book A Guided Tour
- 2018-10-16The Blue Parakeet Rethinking How You Read the Bible, 2nd Edition
- 2018-08-21The Blue Parakeet Rethinking How You Read the Bible, 2nd Edition
- 2018-03-05Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today
- 2018-01-13[PDF] How We Got the Bible [Audiobook]
- 2017-12-27[PDF] How We Got the Bible
- 2017-12-18[PDF] How to DJ: The Insider's Guide to Success on the Decks
- 2017-12-16[PDF] How to Read the Tarot: The Keyword System
- 2017-12-06[PDF] How to Frag Corals: A Simple Guide to Coral Propagation and Coral Fragging for the Marine Reef Aquarium Hobbyist (Advanced saltwater aquarium, marine aquarium and coral reef tank books)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.