Posted on 2017-12-26, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Loren Kruger | Category: Art related | Language: English | Page: 304 | ISBN: 0199321906 | ISBN13: 9780199321902 |
Description: "All roads lead to Johannesburg," remarks the narrator of Alan Paton's novel Cry, The Beloved Country. Taking this quote as her impetus, Loren Kruger guides readers into the heart of South Africa's largest city. Exploring a wide range of fiction, film, architecture, performance, and urban practices from trading to parades, Imagining the Edgy City traverses Johannesburg's rich cultural terrain over the last century. The "edgy city" in Kruger's exploration refers not only to persistent boundaries between the haves and have-nots but also to the cosmopolitan diversity and innovation that has emerged from Johannesburg. The book begins with the building boom, performances and uneven but noteworthy inter-racial exchange that marked the city's fiftieth-anniversary celebration at the Empire Exhibition in 1936. This celebration rapidly gave way to the political repression and civil unrest that characterized South Africa from 1950 to 1990. Yet poetry, drama, fiction, and photography continued to thrive, bearing witness not only against apartheid but to alternatives beyond it. In the late twentieth century, the not quite post-apartheid condition fired the artistic imaginations of film makers as well as novelists. Urban neglect, rising crime, and the influx of migrants inspired noir cinema-like Michael Hammon's Wheels and Deals-and fiction about migration from Achmat Dangor to Phaswane Mpe, and in the twenty-first, urban renewal has produced public art that incorporates the desire lines of newcomers as well as natives. Alongside well-known artists such as Nadine Gordimer, William Kentridge, and David Goldblatt, the book introduces many artists, architects, writers, and other chroniclers who have hitherto received little attention abroad. Ultimately, Johannesburg emerges as a city whose negotiation of the tensions between incivility and innovation invites comparisons with modern conurbations across the world, not only African cities such as Dakar, or other cities of the "south" such as Bogota, but also with major metropolises in North America and Europe from Chicago to Paris. A multi-faceted work that speaks to scholars in urban studies, literature, and history, Imagining the Edgy City is a rich example of interdisciplinary scholarship at its best.
Imagining the Edgy City: Writing, Performing, and Building Johannesburg.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34736
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Imagining the Edgy City: Writing, Performing, and Building Johannesburg
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Contesting the Indian City: Global Visions and the Politics of the Local
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Outside the Lettered City: Cinema, Modernity, and the Public Sphere in Late Colonial India
- 2017-10-22[PDF] Imagining the Future City: London 2062
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Outside the Lettered City: Cinema, Modernity, and the Public Sphere in Late Colonial India
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Translating the Multilingual City: Cross-lingual Practices and Language Ideology
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Deco Body, Deco City: Female Spectacle and Modernity in Mexico City, 1900-1939 (The Mexican Experience)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Rebuilding the American City: Design and Strategy for the 21st Century Urban Core
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Making the Future: Occupations, Interventions, Empire and Resistance (City Lights Open Media)
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Daily Life in the Roman City: Rome, Pompeii, and Ostia
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Walking the Victorian Streets: Women, Representation, and the City
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Imagining the Unimaginable: World War, Modern Art, and the Politics of Public Culture in Russia, 1914-1917 (Studies in War, Society, and the Military)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] The Bazaar in the Islamic City: Design, Culture, and History
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Remembering the Kanji III: Writing and Reading Japanese Characters for Upper-Level Proficiency
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Imagining the Anglo-Saxon Past: The Search for Anglo-Saxon Paganism and Anglo-Saxon Trial by Jury
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Imagining the Internet: Communication, Innovation, and Governance
- 2017-12-10[PDF] The Sexual History of London: From Roman Londinium to the Swinging City -Lust, Vice, and Desire Across the Ages
- 2017-12-02[PDF] The Demon of Writing: Powers and Failures of Paperwork
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.