[PDF] Intellectual Life and the American South, 1810-1860: An Abridged Edition of Conjectures of Order
Posted on 2017-11-27, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Michael O'Brien | Publisher: The University of North Carolina Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 400 | ISBN: 0807834009 | ISBN13: 9780807834008 |
Description: Michael O'Brien has masterfully abridged his award-winning two-volume intellectual history of the Old South, Conjectures of Order, depicting a culture that was simultaneously national, postcolonial, and imperial, influenced by European intellectual traditions, yet also deeply implicated in the making of the American mind. Here O'Brien succinctly and fluidly surveys the lives and works of many significant Southern intellectuals, including John C. Calhoun, Louisa McCord, James Henley Thornwell, and George Fitzhugh. Looking over the period, O'Brien identifies a movement from Enlightenment ideas of order to a Romanticism concerned with the ambivalences of personal and social identity, and finally, by the 1850s, to an early realist sensibility. He offers a new understanding of the South by describing a place neither monolithic nor out of touch, but conflicted, mobile, and ambitious to integrate modern intellectual developments into its tense and idiosyncratic social experience.
Intellectual Life and the American South, 1810-1860: An Abridged Edition of Conjectures of Order.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33857
- 2010-12-21Intellectual Life and the American South, 1810-1860: An Abridged Edition of Conjectures of Order [Abridged]
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Death and the American South (Cambridge Studies on the American South)
- 2018-01-08[PDF] American Creoles: The Francophone Caribbean and the American South (Liverpool University Press - Francophone Postcolonial Studies)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Voluntarism, Community Life, and the American Ethic (Philanthropic and Nonprofit Studies)
- 2017-10-22[PDF] Regional Economic Development Compared : EU-Europe and the American South
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Voluntarism, Community Life, and the American Ethic (Philanthropic and Nonprofit Studies)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Duke Homestead and the American Tobacco Company (No Series)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Nathan Boone and the American Frontier (Missouri Biography Series)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Between Islam and the American Dream: An Immigrant Muslim Community in Post-9/11 America (Routledge Advances in Sociology)
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Intellectual Curiosity and the Scientific Revolution: A Global Perspective
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Barn Quilts and the American Quilt Trail Movement
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Intellectual Property and the Limits of Antitrust: A Comparative Study of US and EU Approaches (New Horizons in Competition Law and Economics)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Provincial Life and the Military in Imperial Japan: The Phantom Samurai (Routledge Studies in the Modern History of Asia)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Consumer Credit and the American Economy
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Henry Watterson and the New South: The Politics of Empire, Free Trade, and Globalization (Topics in Kentucky History)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Intellectual Life in the Middle Ages: Essays Presented to Margaret Gibson
- 2017-11-04[PDF] Douglas Fairbanks and the American Century
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Truth, Justice, and the American Whore
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Intellectual Life in the Late Roman Republic
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.