Posted on 2018-01-07, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Richard Snow | Publisher: Scribner | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 416 | ISBN: 1476794189 | ISBN13: 9781476794181 |
Description: From acclaimed popular historian Richard Snow, who writes with verve and a keen eye (The New York Times Book Review), the thrilling story of the naval battle that not only changed the Civil War but the future of all sea power. No single sea battle has had more far-reaching consequences than the one fought in the harbor at Hampton Roads, Virginia, in March 1862. The Confederacy, with no fleet of its own, built an iron fort containing ten heavy guns on the hull of a captured Union frigate named the Merrimack. The North got word of the project when it was already well along, and, in desperation, commissioned an eccentric inventor named John Ericsson to build the Monitor, an entirely revolutionary iron warshipat the time, the single most complicated machine ever made. Abraham Lincoln himself was closely involved with the ships design. Rushed through to completion in just 100 days, it mounted only two guns, but they were housed in a shot-proof revolving turret. The ship hurried south from Brooklyn (and nearly sank twice on the voyage), only to arrive to find the Merrimack had arrived blazing that morning, destroyed half the Union fleet, and would be back to finish the job the next day. When she returned, the Monitor was there. She fought the Merrimack to a standstill, and saved the Union cause. As soon as word of the battle spread, Great Britainthe foremost sea power of the dayceased work on all wooden ships. A thousand-year-old tradition ended, and the path to the naval future opened. Richly illustrated with photos, maps, and engravings, Iron Dawn is the irresistible story of these incredible, intimidating war machines. Historian Richard Snow brings to vivid life the tensions of the time, explaining how wooden and ironclad ships worked, maneuvered, battled, and sank. This full account of the Merrimack and Monitor has never been told in such immediate, compelling detail.
Iron Dawn: The Monitor, the Merrimack, and the Civil War Sea Battle that Changed History.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35116
- 2012-05-16Military Uniforms in America Vol.III Long Endure: The Civil War Period 1852-1867
- 2012-01-241861: The Civil War Awakening
- 2012-05-16The Illustrated Directory of Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment of the Civil War
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Women in the Civil War: Extraordinary Stories of Soldiers, Spies, Nurses, Doctors, Crusaders, and Others
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Still Fighting the Civil War: The American South and Southern History
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Railroads in the Civil War: The Impact of Management on Victory and Defeat
- 2017-11-13[PDF] An Irishman in the Iron Brigade: The Civil War Memoirs of James P. Sullivan (The Irish in the Civil War)
- 2017-11-11[PDF] America Between the Civil War and the 20th Century: 1865 to 1900 (Documenting America: the Primary Source Documents of a Nation)
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Sultana: Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Capital Dames: The Civil War and the Women of Washington, 1848-1868
- 2016-12-27[PDF] Capital Dames: The Civil War and the Women of Washington, 1848-1868
- 2016-12-26[PDF] Sultana: Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Victory at Stalingrad: The Battle That Changed History
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Aircraft of the Chaco War 1928-1935: (Schiffer Military History)
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Food in the Civil War Era: The South (American Food in History)
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Food in the Civil War Era: The North (American Food in History)
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Echoes of the Civil War: Capturing Battlefields through a Pinhole Camera
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Reconstructing Appalachia: The Civil War's Aftermath (New Directions in Southern History)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] America Divided: The Civil War of the 1960s
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.