[PDF] Islamic Science and the Making of the European Renaissance (Transformations: Studies in the History of Science and Technology)
Posted on 2018-01-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: George Saliba | Publisher: The MIT Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 360 | ISBN: 0262195577 | ISBN13: 9780262195577 |
Description: The Islamic scientific tradition has been described many times in accounts of Islamic civilization and general histories of science, with most authors tracing its beginnings to the appropriation of ideas from other ancient civilizations the Greeks in particular. In this thought-provoking and original book, George Saliba argues that, contrary to the generally accepted view, the foundations of Islamic scientific thought were laid well before Greek sources were formally translated into Arabic in the ninth century. Drawing on an account by the tenth-century intellectual historian Ibn al-Nadim [macron over i] that is ignored by most modern scholars, Saliba suggests that early translations from mainly Persian and Greek sources outlining elementary scientific ideas for the use of government departments were the impetus for the development of the Islamic scientific tradition. He argues further that there was an organic relationship between the Islamic scientific thought that developed in the later centuries and the science that came into being in Europe during the Renaissance.Saliba outlines the conventional accounts of Islamic science, then discusses their shortcomings and proposes an alternate narrative. Using astronomy as a template for tracing the progress of science in Islamic civilization, Saliba demonstrates the originality of Islamic scientific thought. He details the innovations (including new mathematical tools) made by the Islamic astronomers from the thirteenth to sixteenth centuries, and offers evidence that Copernicus could have known of and drawn on their work. Rather than viewing the rise and fall of Islamic science from the often-narrated perspectives of politics and religion, Saliba focuses on the scientific production itself and the complex social, economic, and intellectual conditions that made it possible.
Islamic Science and the Making of the European Renaissance (Transformations: Studies in the History of Science and Technology).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35653
- 2011-07-16Science and Technology and the Future Development of Societies: International Workshop Proceedings
- 2012-04-27[request]Sea Clutter: Scattering, the K-Distribution and Radar Performance - Removed
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Islamic Thought in the Middle Ages: Studies in Text, Transmission and Translation, in Honour of Hans Daiber (Islamic Philosophy, Theology and Science)
- 2012-01-24Future R&D Environments: A Report for the National Institute of Standards and Technology
- 2011-09-11Basic Research in Information Science and Technology for Air Force Needs
- 2011-09-01The Fundamental Role of Science and Technology in International Development
- 2008-02-25[request]IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition : (BS 7671: 2008)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Islamic Law and Human Rights: The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Islamic Mysticism and Abu Talib Al-Makki: The Role of the Heart (Routledge Sufi Series)
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Vibration Engineering and Technology of Machinery: Proceedings of VETOMAC X 2014, held at the University of Manchester, UK, September 9-11, 2014 (Mechanisms and Machine Science)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Islamic Philosophy and Occidental Phenomenology in Dialogue: The Logos of Life and Cultural Interlacing
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Islamic Art and Architecture (The World of Art)
- 2017-11-15[PDF] Islamic Philosophy and the Ethics of Belief
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Islamic Thought in the Dialogue of Cultures: A Historical and Bibliographical Survey (Themes in Islamic Studies)
- 2017-10-28[PDF] Islamic Conversion and Christian Resistance on the Early Modern Stage
- 2017-04-12[PDF] Islamic State and the Coming Global Confrontation
- 2017-04-09[PDF] Mankind Beyond Earth: The History, Science, and Future of Human Space Exploration
- 2017-04-07[PDF] Islamic Marketing: Understanding the Socio-Economic, Cultural, and Politico-Legal Environment (Management for Professionals)
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Islamic Mysticism and Abu Talib Al-Makki: The Role of the Heart (Routledge Sufi Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.