[PDF] John Witherspoon's American Revolution: Enlightenment and Religion from the Creation of Britain to the Founding of the United States (Published for ... History and Culture, Williamsburg, Virginia)
Posted on 2018-01-29, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Gideon Mailer | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 440 | ISBN: 146962818X | ISBN13: 9781469628189 |
Description: In 1768, John Witherspoon, Presbyterian leader of the evangelical Popular party faction in the Scottish Kirk, became the College of New Jersey's sixth president. At Princeton, he mentored constitutional architect James Madison as a New Jersey delegate to the Continental Congress, he was the only clergyman to sign the Declaration of Independence. Although Witherspoon is often thought to be the chief conduit of moral sense philosophy in America, Mailer's comprehensive analysis of this founding father's writings demonstrates the resilience of his evangelical beliefs. Witherspoon's Presbyterian evangelicalism competed with, combined with, and even superseded the civic influence of Scottish Enlightenment thought in the British Atlantic world. John Witherspoon's American Revolution examines the connection between patriot discourse and long-standing debates - already central to the 1707 Act of Union - about the relationship among piety, moral philosophy, and political unionism. In Witherspoon's mind, Americans became different from other British subjects because more of them had been awakened to the sin they shared with all people. Paradoxically, acute consciousness of their moral depravity legitimized their move to independence by making it a concerted moral action urged by the Holy Spirit. Mailer's exploration of Witherspoon's thought and influence suggests that, for the founders in his circle, civic virtue rested on personal religious awakening.
John Witherspoon's American Revolution: Enlightenment and Religion from the Creation of Britain to the Founding of the United States (Published for ... History and Culture, Williamsburg, Virginia).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35761
- 2017-03-29John Witherspoon's American Revolution Enlightenment and Religion from the Creation of Britain ...
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Love in the Time of Revolution: Transatlantic Literary Radicalism and Historical Change, 1793-1818 (Published for the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, Williamsburg, Virginia)
- 2011-10-11College of Chinese Language and Culture, ' (Mandarin Chinese Language), Book 1
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Source Book of American Architecture: 500 Notable Buildings from the 10th Century to the Present
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Nuclear Weapons of the United States: An Illustrated History (Schiffer Military History)
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Seacoast Fortifications of the United States: An Introductory History
- 2014-02-19Catching the Flu from the United States: Synchronisation and Transmission Mechanisms to the Euro Area
- 2013-01-07[Uploaded.net] American Ways: A Cultural Guide to the United States
- 2013-01-05American Ways - A Cultural Guide to the United States
- 2012-01-13Global Sources of Local Pollution: An Assessment of Long-Range Transport of Key Air Pollutants to and from the United States - Committee On The Significance Of International Transport Of Air Pollutants
- 2011-12-29American Ways: A Cultural Guide to the United States - Gary Althen
- 2011-12-14Global Sources of Local Pollution: An Assessment of Long-Range Transport of Key Air Pollutants to and from the United States free ebook download
- 2011-12-13American Ways: A Cultural Guide to the United States - Gary Althen
- 2011-11-11American Ways: A Cultural Guide to the United States
- 2011-09-14Corbett - Politics and Religion in the United States
- 2011-06-01Culture and Customs of the United States [Two Volumes] [2 volumes] (Culture and Customs of North America)
- 2009-08-28Understanding Savings: Evidence from the United States and Japan
- 2011-12-29The Burning Soul: A Charlie Parker Thriller [Audiobook] - John Connolly, Read By George Guidall And Tony Ward
- 2011-12-21The Parathyroids, Second Edition: Basic and Clinical Concepts - John P. Bilezikian, John T. Potts Jr., Robert Marcus And More
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.