Posted on 2018-01-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Elaine Fantham | Category: Poetry | Language: Italian | Page: 256 | ISBN: 1442640596 | ISBN13: 9781442640597 |
Description: Based on Elaine Fantham's 2004 Robson lectures, Latin Poets and Italian Gods reconstructs the response of Roman poets in the late republic and Augustan age to the rural cults of central Italy. Study of Roman gods is often limited to the grand equivalents of the Olympian Greek deities such as Jupiter, Mars, and Juno. However, real-life Italians gave a lot of their affection and loyalty to humbler gods with no Greek equivalent: local nymphs who supplied healing waters, the great Tiber river and other lesser rivers, the lusty garden god Priapus, and more. Latin Poets and Italian Gods surveys the representation of these old country gods in poets from Plautus to Statius. Fantham offers historical and epigraphic evidence of worship offered to these colourful lesser spirits and reveals the emotional importance of local Italian deities to the sophisticated poets of the Augustan age.
Latin Poets and Italian Gods (Robson Classical Lectures) [Italian].pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35830
- 2017-11-11[PDF] The Greeks and the Irrational (Sather Classical Lectures)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Bringing in the Sheaves: Economy and Metaphor in the Roman World (Robson Classical Lectures)
- 2017-12-09[PDF] The Emotions of the Ancient Greeks: Studies in Aristotle and Classical Literature (Robson Classical Lectures)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Victorian Poets and the Changing Bible (Victorian Literature and Culture Series)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Death-Ritual and Social Structure in Classical Antiquity (Key Themes in Ancient History)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Laughter in Ancient Rome: On Joking, Tickling, and Cracking Up (Sather Classical Lectures)
- 2017-12-19[PDF] British Poets and Secret Societies
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Emperor Worship and Roman Religion (Oxford Classical Monographs)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Latin America and Contemporary Modernity: A Sociological Interpretation (Routledge Advances in Sociology)
- 2017-12-05[PDF] Neil Gaiman and Philosophy: Gods Gone Wild! (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Haiti, History, and the Gods
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Andre Bazin and Italian Neorealism
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Benedetto Croce and Italian Fascism (Toronto Italian Studies)
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1: The Sword of Summer
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Latin Historiography and Poetry in the Early Empire (Mnemosyne Supplements)
- 2017-11-01[PDF] Fisher, Neyman, and the Creation of Classical Statistics - Removed
- 2017-10-21[PDF] Latin Squares and Their Applications, Second Edition
- 2017-10-20[PDF] A Million and One Gods: The Peristence of Polytheism
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Far Thoughts and Pale Gods (The Complete Short Fiction of Greg Bear)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.