Posted on 2017-12-02, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Christopher Pelling | Publisher: Routledge | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 352 | ISBN: 0415073510 | ISBN13: 9780415073516 |
Description: Our knowledge of Greek history rests largely on literary textsnot merely historians (especially Herodotus, Thucydides and Xenophon), but also tragedies, comedies, speeches, biographies and philosophical works. These texts are among the most skilled and highly wrought productions of a brilliant rhetorical culture. How is the historian to use them? This book takes a series of extended test-cases, and discusses how we should and should not try to exploit the texts. In some instances, we can investigate what really happened, and the ways in which the texts manipulate, remould, or colour it according to their own rhetorical strategies. In others, the most illuminating aspect may be those strategies themselves, and what they tell us about the culture how it figured questions of sex and gender, politics, citizenship and the city, the law and the courts, how wars happen. Literary Texts and the Greek Historianconcentrates on Athens in the second half of the fifth century, when many of the principal genres came together, but it includes some examples from earlier (Aeschylus Oresteia) and later periods (including Aristotles Politics). Literary Texts and the Greek Historianexamines possible responses to these texts and suggests new ways in which literary criticism can illuminate the society from which these texts sprang.
Literary Texts and the Greek Historian (Approaching the Ancient World).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33985
- 2017-02-10[PDF] Literary Texts and the Greek Historian (Approaching the Ancient World)
- 2013-01-09Literary Texts and the Greek Historian (Approaching the Ancient World) by C. B. R. Pelling (Repost)
- 2007-06-10Literary Texts and the Greek Historian (Approaching the Ancient World) by Christo Pelling
- 2010-06-16Literary Texts and the Roman Historian (Approaching the Ancient World)
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Literary Studies and the Philosophy of Literature: New Interdisciplinary Directions
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Literary Advertising and the Shaping of British Romanticism
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Literary Coteries and the Making of Modern Print Culture: 1740-1790
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Literary Studies and the Pursuits of Reading (Studies in German Literature Linguistics and Culture)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Between Heaven and the Real World: My Story
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Nazi Propaganda and the Second World War
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Kelvin, Thermodynamics and the Natural World
- 2018-01-15[PDF] National Myth and the First World War in Modern Popular Music (Palgrave Studies in the History of Subcultures and Popular Music)
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Economic Theory and the Ancient Mediterranean
- 2018-01-11[PDF] New Zealand and the Second World War: The People, the Battles and the Legacy
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Mycenaean Greece and the Aegean World: Palace and Province in the Late Bronze Age
- 2018-01-07[PDF] German Reparations and the Jewish World: A History of the Claims Conference [German]
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The Idea of a Town: The Anthropology of Urban Form in Rome, Italy and the Ancient World
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Western Art and the Wider World
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Globalizations and the Ancient World
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.