[PDF] Machiavelli in the British Isles: Two Early Modern Translations of The Prince (Anglo-Italian Renaissance Studies)
Posted on 2018-01-10, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Alessandra Petrina | Publisher: Routledge | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 310 | ISBN: 0754666972 | ISBN13: 9780754666974 |
Description: Machiavelli in the British Isles reassesses the impact of Machiavelli's The Prince in sixteenth-century England and Scotland through the analysis of early English translations produced before 1640, surviving in manuscript form. This study concentrates on two of the four extant sixteenth-century versions: William Fowler's Scottish translation and the Queen's College (Oxford) English translation, which has been hitherto overlooked by scholars. Alessandra Petrina begins with an overview of the circulation and readership of Machiavelli in early modern Britain before focusing on the eight surviving manuscripts. She reconstructs each manuscript's history and the afterlife of the translations before moving to a detailed examination of two of the translations. Petrina's investigation of William Fowler's translation takes into account his biography, in order to understand the Machiavellian influence on early modern political thought. Her study of the Queen's College translation analyses the manuscript's provenance as well as technical details including writing and paper quality. Importantly, this book includes annotated editions of both translations, which compare the texts with the original Italian versions as well as French and Latin versions. With this volume Petrina has compiled an important reference source, offering easy access to little-known translations and shedding light on a community of readers and scholars who were fascinated by Machiavelli, despite political or religious opinion.
Machiavelli in the British Isles: Two Early Modern Translations of The Prince (Anglo-Italian Renaissance Studies).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35194
- 2017-11-05[PDF] Machiavelli's 'The Prince': A Reader's Guide
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Shakespeare and the Italian Renaissance: Appropriation, Transformation, Opposition (Anglo-Italian Renaissance Studies)
- 2017-12-05[PDF] Machiavelli and the Modern State: The Prince, The Discourses on Livy, and the Extended Territorial Republic
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Beyond the Yellow Badge: Anti-judaism and Antisemitism in Medieval and Early Modern Visual Culture (Brill's Series in Jewish Studies)
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Men and Women Making Friends in Early Modern France (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
- 2017-10-25[PDF] Astrology and Numerology in Medieval and Early Modern Cataloastrology and Numerology in Medieval and Early Modern Catalonia Nia: The Tractat de ... (Medieval and Early Modern Iberian World)
- 2018-10-10Machiavelli's 'The Prince' A Reader's Guide
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Dickens and the Business of Death (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Metaphors in the History of Psychology (Cambridge Studies in the History of Psychology)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Football and the Boundaries of History: Critical Studies in Soccer - Removed
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Contesting Orthodoxy in Medieval and Early Modern Europe: Heresy, Magic and Witchcraft (Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic) - Removed
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Women, Food Exchange, and Governance in Early Modern England (Early Modern Literature in History)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Emotions in the History of Witchcraft (Palgrave Studies in the History of Emotions) - Removed
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Probate Inventories of French Immigrants in Early Modern London
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Philosophy and the Law of Torts (Cambridge Studies in Philosophy and Law)
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Acrobats of the Gods: Dance and Transformation (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Rivers and the Power of Ancient Rome (Studies in the History of Greece and Rome)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Collingwood and the Metaphysics of Experience (Routledge Studies in Twentieth Century Philosophy)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] English Nouns: The Ecology of Nominalization (Cambridge Studies in Linguistics)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.