Posted on 2018-01-10, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Peter M. Shane | Publisher: University Of Chicago Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 258 | ISBN: 0226749398 | ISBN13: 9780226749396 |
Description: The George W. Bush administrationâ€™s ambitiousâ€”even breathtakingâ€”claims of unilateral executive authority raised deep concerns among constitutional scholars, civil libertarians, and ordinary citizens alike. But Bushâ€™s attempts to assert his power are only the culmination of a near-thirty-year assault on the basic checks and balances of the U.S. governmentâ€”a battle waged by presidents of both parties, and one that, as Peter M. Shane warns in Madisonâ€™s Nightmare, threatens to utterly subvert the foundersâ€™ vision of representative government. Tracing this tendency back to the first Reagan administration, Shane shows how this era of "aggressive presidentialism" has seen presidents exerting ever more control over nearly every arena of policy, from military affairs and national security to domestic programs. Driven by political ambition and a growing culture of entitlement in the executive branchâ€”and abetted by a complaisant Congress, riven by partisanshipâ€”this presidential aggrandizement has too often undermined wise policy making and led to shallow, ideological, and sometimes outright lawless decisions. The solution, Shane argues, will require a multipronged program of reform, including both specific changes in government practice and broader institutional changes aimed at supporting a renewed culture of government accountability. From the war on science to the mismanaged war on terror, Madisonâ€™s Nightmare outlines the disastrous consequences of the unchecked executiveâ€”and issues a stern wake-up call to all who care about the fate of our long democratic experiment.
Madison's Nightmare: How Executive Power Threatens American Democracy.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35207
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Madison's Nightmare: How Executive Power Threatens American Democracy
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Madison's Nightmare: How Executive Power Threatens American Democracy
- 2013-08-21Madison's Nightmare: How Executive Power Threatens American Democracy [Repost]
- 2009-12-21Madison's Nightmare: How Executive Power Threatens American Democracy
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Hormone Boost: How to Power Up Your 6 Essential Hormones for Strength, Energy, and Weight Loss
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Third Wave Capitalism: How Money, Power, and the Pursuit of Self-Interest Have Imperiled the American Dream
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Onward Muslim Soldiers: How Jihad Still Threatens America and the West
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Deciding Who Leads: How Executive Recruiters Drive, Direct, and Disrupt the Global Search for Leadership Talent
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Pay-to-Play Politics: How Money Defines the American Democracy
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Blood and Daring: How Canada Fought the American Civil War and Forged a Nation
- 2017-10-05[PDF] The Federalist Papers and Institutional Power In American Political Development
- 2017-01-17[PDF] Blood and Daring: How Canada Fought the American Civil War and Forged a Nation
- 2010-05-14Legislative Deferrals: Statutory Ambiguity, Judicial Power, and American Democracy
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Change Your Posture, Change Your Life: How the Power of the Alexander Technique Can Combat Back Pain, Tension and Stress
- 2018-01-06[PDF] The Oil Kings: How the U.S., Iran, and Saudi Arabia Changed the Balance of Power in the Middle East
- 2018-01-04[PDF] The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-being
- 2018-01-03[PDF] The Antioxidant Prescription: How to Use the Power of Antioxidants to Prevent Disease and Stay Healthy for Life
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Management vs. Employees: How Leaders Can Bridge the Power Gaps That Hurt Corporate Performance
- 2017-12-31[PDF] The Intercessors Handbook: How to Pray with Boldness, Authority and Supernatural Power
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.