Posted on 2017-10-04, by luongquocchinh.
Author: David Degner | Publisher: Metropolitan Museum of Art | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 86 | ISBN: 0300099622 | ISBN13: 9780300099621 |
Description: A study of The Metropolitan Museum of Art's acquisition, "The "Kearsarge" at Boulogne", by Edouard Manet (1832-1883). During the American Civil War, when Union forces blocked Confederate ports, the Confederacy countered by waging guerrilla warfare on Union merchant shipping. One of the most skilled Confederate raiders was the sloop-of-war "Alabama". On the 19th June 1864, the USS Kearsarge and the CSS Alabama fought off the coast of Cherbourg, France. The Alabama sank less than two hours after the first shot was fired. The battle captured the attention of the French people, and Manet, who as a teenager had served in the French navy, raced to Boulogne to see the victorious Kearsarge. He painted a depiction of the battle (which he did not witness), now in Philadelphia, as well as a portrait of the Kearsarge, now in the collection of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. This volume contains essays about the Metropolitan's picture and five additional seascapes painted by Manet in Boulogne during the summer of 1864. Related works by other artists, photographs and newspaper articles are also included.
Manet and the American Civil War: The Battle of U.S.S Kearsarge and C.S.S. Alabama.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32046
- 2017-10-25[PDF] 'Airfix Magazine' Guide: American Civil War Wargaming No. 24 (Airfix magazine guide 24)
- 2012-05-16The Illustrated Directory of Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment of the Civil War
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Manet and the American Civil War: The Battle of U.S.S Kearsarge and C.S.S. Alabama
- 2012-06-03The Flags of Civil War Alabama
- 2012-05-16Military Uniforms in America Vol.III Long Endure: The Civil War Period 1852-1867
- 2012-05-16The Sniper at War: From the American Revolutionary War to the Present Day
- 2012-01-241861: The Civil War Awakening
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Slaveholding Crisis: Fear of Insurrection and the Coming of the Civil War (Conflicting Worlds: New Dimensions of the American Civil War)
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Abraham Lincoln and Treason in the Civil War: The Trials of John Merryman (Conflicting Worlds: New Dimensions of the American Civil War)
- 2018-01-11[PDF] This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War
- 2018-01-11[PDF] American Civil War Fortifications (3): The Mississippi and River Forts (Fortress) (v. 3)
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Battle Scars: Gender and Sexuality in the American Civil War
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Slavery, Civil War, and Salvation: African American Slaves and Christianity, 1830-1870 (Conflicting Worlds: New Dimensions of the American Civil War)
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Blood and Daring: How Canada Fought the American Civil War and Forged a Nation
- 2017-11-29[PDF] The American Civil War and Reconstruction: People, Politics, and Power (America at War)
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Wars within a War: Controversy and Conflict over the American Civil War (Civil War America)
- 2017-11-21[PDF] In the Shadow of the Alabama: The British Foreign Office and the American Civil War (New Perspectives on Maritime History and Nautical Archaeolog)
- 2017-11-14[PDF] Huts and History: The Historical Archaeology of Military Encampment During the American Civil War
- 2017-11-11[PDF] American Civil War and Reconstruction: 1850 to 1890 (Documenting America: the Primary Source Documents of a Nation)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.