Posted on 2017-12-08, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Scott Ridley | Category: Military Science | Language: English | Page: 464 | ISBN: 0061700126 | ISBN13: 9780061700125 |
Description: Four years after the Revolutionary War, America's independence was still in doubt. To survive, the new nation needed money and a vital surge in trade. In the back rooms of Boston, a daring plan was launched by a group of merchants and ship owners: to send two ships on a desperate mission around Cape Horn and into the Pacific Ocean. They wanted to establish new trade with China, settle an outpost on territory claimed by the Spanish, and find the legendary Northwest Passageâ€”the fabled waterway linking the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. The adventure would bring the world to the brink of war. The man chosen to lead the expedition was John Kendrickâ€”a master navigator and a charismatic captain of privateers during the Revolution. On the far side of the world, Kendrick would have to rely on his bravery, his charm, and most of all his remarkable resolve to navigate unknown waters, negotiate with cutthroat imperialists from England and Spain, and form alliances with natives hit hard by early encounters with Europeans. Seventeen years before Lewis and Clark reached the Pacific coast, Kendrick established the first American outpost on what would become Vancouver Island. He then traveled into the cauldron of an intertribal war in the Hawaiian Islands before moving into the far ports of Macao, China, and Kushimoto, Japan, where he narrowly escaped capture by a troop of samurai. Throughout the seven-year journey, Kendrick faced a subordinate officer who wanted to usurp his command, Spanish officials who wanted him captured, and a rival British captain who wanted him dead. Morning of Fire follows Kendrick through each perilous turn of his adventures aboard the Lady Washington and the Columbia Rediviva. This meticulously researched story uncovers the full scope of a landmark American voyage that came at the volatile close of the eighteenth century, a time when superpowers Spain and Britain clashed over territory and the fledgling United States stood caught in the middle. As Scott Ridley relates Kendrick's fateful struggle to plant the seed of an "empire of liberty" in the Pacific, he shapes a bold and exciting chronicle of a momentous odyssey. Morning of Fire is popular history at its best.
Morning of Fire: John Kendrick's Daring American Odyssey in the Pacific.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34194
- 2016-12-26[PDF] Morning of Fire: John Kendrick's Daring American Odyssey in the Pacific
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Right to Ride: Streetcar Boycotts and African American Citizenship in the Era of Plessy v. Ferguson (The John Hope Franklin Series in African American History and Culture)
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
- 2011-10-19Escape From Davao: The Forgotten Story of the Most Daring Prison Break of the Pacific War
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Food for All: Investing in Food Security in Asia and the Pacific - Issues, Innovations, and Practices
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Pure Flavor: 125 Fresh All-American Recipes from the Pacific Northwest
- 2017-11-25[PDF] 585 Raids and Counting: Memoir of an American Soldier in the Solomon Islands, 1942-1945
- 2017-11-04[PDF] Museum, Gallery and Cultural Architecture in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Region: Essays in Antipodean Identity
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Haunted by Atrocity: Civil War Prisons in American Memory (Making the Modern South)
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Inventing a Better Mousetrap: 200 Years of American History in the Amazing World of Patent Models (Make)
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Coming Full Circle: Spirituality and Wellness among Native Communities in the Pacific Northwest
- 2017-10-21[PDF] Guadalcanal, Tarawa and Beyond: A Mud Marine's Memoir of the Pacific Island War
- 2017-01-17[PDF] Pure Flavor: 125 Fresh All-American Recipes from the Pacific Northwest
- 2010-11-19Escape From Davao: The Forgotten Story of the Most Daring Prison Break of the Pacific War
- 2010-11-18Escape From Davao: The Forgotten Story of the Most Daring Prison Break of the Pacific War
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Reporting Under Fire: 16 Daring Women War Correspondents and Photojournalists (Women of Action)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Earth, Air, Fire & Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic
- 2018-02-01[PDF] San Francisco Fire Department (CA) (Images of America)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.