Posted on 2017-12-19, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Nigel Cliff | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 464 | ISBN: 006233316X | ISBN13: 9780062333162 |
Description: Gripping narrative nonfiction that tells the dramatic story of a remarkable young Texan pianist, Van Cliburn, who played his way through the wall of fear built by the Cold War, won the hearts of the American and Russian people, and eased tensions between two superpowers on the brink of nuclear war. In 1958, an unheralded twenty-three-year-old piano prodigy from Texas named Van Cliburn traveled to Moscow to compete in the First International Tchaikovsky Competition. The Soviets had no intention of bestowing their coveted prize on an unknown American a Russian pianist had already been chosen to win. Yet when the gangly Texan with the shy grin took the stage and began to play, he instantly captivated an entire nation. The Soviet people were charmed by Van Cliburnâ€™s extraordinary talent, passion, and fresh-faced innocence, but it was his palpable love for the music that earned their devotion for many, he played more like a Russian than their own musicians. As enraptured crowds mobbed Cliburnâ€™s performances, pressure mounted to award him the competition prize. "Is he the best?" Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev demanded of the judges. "In that case . . . give him the prize!" Adored by millions in the USSR, Cliburn returned to a thunderous heroâ€™s welcome in the USA and became, for a time, an ambassador of hope for two dangerously hostile superpowers. In this thrilling, impeccably researched account, Nigel Cliff recreates the drama and tension of the Cold War era, and brings into focus the gifted musician and deeply compelling figure whose music would temporarily bridge the divide between two dangerously hostile powers.
Moscow Nights: The Van Cliburn Story-How One Man and His Piano Transformed the Cold War.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34511
- 2016-12-28[PDF] Moscow Nights: The Van Cliburn Story-How One Man and His Piano Transformed the Cold War
- 2016-10-22Moscow Nights The Van Cliburn Story-How One Man and His Piano Transformed the Cold War
- 2013-09-19A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
- 2017-10-26[PDF] The Gospel According to Chris Moyles: The Story of a Man and His Mouth
- 2017-01-03[PDF] The Gospel According to Chris Moyles: The Story of a Man and His Mouth
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Geopolitics: From the Cold War to the 21st Century
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Confronting America: The Cold War between the United States and the Communists in France and Italy (The New Cold War History)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Conflict After the Cold War: Arguments on Causes of War and Peace
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Origins of the Cold War: An International History (Rewriting Histories)
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Sowing Crisis: The Cold War and American Dominance in the Middle East
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Waltzing into the Cold War: The Struggle for Occupied Austria (Williams-Ford Texas A&M University Military History Series)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Superpower Relations & the Cold War 1941-91 (Gcse History for Edexcel)
- 2017-12-11[PDF] The World According to Bob: The Further Adventures of One Man and His Streetwise Cat
- 2017-12-01[PDF] End of the Cold War: European Unity, Socialism, and the Shift in Global Power
- 2017-11-13[PDF] Winged Warriors: The Cold War from the Cockpit
- 2017-11-09[PDF] My Empire of Dirt: How One Man Turned His Big-City Backyard into a Farm
- 2017-11-02[PDF] The Art of D-Face: One Man and His Dog
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Afghanistan from the Cold War through the War on Terror,1e
- 2017-10-15[PDF] Last of the Cold War Spies: The Life of Michael Straight - the Only American in Britain's Cambridge Spy Ring
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.