Posted on 2017-12-15, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Kathryn Olsen | Publisher: Ethnomusicology Multimedia | Category: Music | Language: English | Page: 222 | ISBN: 1439911363 | ISBN13: 9781439911365 |
Description: Music and Social Change in South Africa looks at contemporary maskanda-a folk musical genre distinguished by fast guitar picking and blues-style vocal intonation-against the backdrop of South Africa's history. A performance practice that emerged in the early decades of the twentieth century among Zulu migrant workers, maskanda is strongly associated with young Zulu men's experiences of repression and dislocation during imperial and, more particularly, apartheid rule. Working closely with translated song lyrics and musical notation-and applying musical and socio-political analysis to this music and its cultural context-Olsen argues that maskanda offers insight into how the post-apartheid ideal of social transformation is experienced by those who were marginalized for most of the twentieth century. Drawing on a decade of research, Olsen strives to demystify the Zulu part of contemporary experience in South Africa and to reveal some of the complexities of the social, economic, and political landscape of contemporary South Africa.
Music and Social Change in South Africa: Maskanda Past and Present.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34415
- 2011-09-17The Development Decade?: Economic and Social Change in South Africa, 1994-2004
- 2011-08-20The Development Decade? Economic and Social Change in South Africa, 1994-2004 (repost)
- 2011-07-15The Development Decade?: Economic and Social Change in South Africa, 1994-2004
- 2011-07-03The Development Decade? Economic and Social Change in South Africa, 1994-2004
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Disability and Social Change: A South African Agenda
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Paying for Politics: Party Funding and Political Change in South Africa and the Global South
- 2017-10-29[PDF] Social Demography of South Africa: Advances and Emerging Issues
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Social Demography of South Africa: Advances and Emerging Issues
- 2013-02-18FCS Electrical Principles and Practice L4
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Biometric State: The Global Politics of Identification and Surveillance in South Africa, 1850 to the Present
- 2017-11-15[PDF] Adolescents, Rapid Social Change, and the Law: The Transforming Nature of Protection (Advancing Responsible Adolescent Development)
- 2018-10-14El Sistema Music For Social Change
- 2018-08-23El Sistema Music For Social Change
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Music and Politics in San Francisco: From the 1906 Quake to the Second World War
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Fundraising for Social Change
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Music and Freedom
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Music and Globalization: Critical Encounters (Tracking Globalization)
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Music and the Politics of Negation (Musical Meaning and Interpretation)
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Music and the Modern Condition: Investigating the Boundaries
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.