Posted on 2017-12-02, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Matthew Dimmock | Category: Islam | Language: English | Page: 308 | ISBN: 1107032911 | ISBN13: 9781107032910 |
Description: The figure of 'Mahomet' was widely known in early modern England. A grotesque version of the Prophet Muhammad, Mahomet was a product of vilification, caricature and misinformation placed at the centre of Christian conceptions of Islam. In Mythologies of the Prophet Muhammad in Early Modern English Literature Matthew Dimmock draws on an eclectic range of early modern sources - literary, historical, visual - to explore the nature and use of Mahomet in a period bounded by the beginnings of print and the early Enlightenment. This fabricated figure and his spurious biography were endlessly recycled, but also challenged and vindicated, and the tales the English told about him offer new perspectives on their sense of the world - its geographies and religions, near and far - and their place within it. This book explores the role played by Mahomet in the making of Englishness, and reflects on what this might reveal about England's present circumstances.
Mythologies of the Prophet Muhammad in Early Modern English Culture.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34013
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Knights on the Frontier (Medieval and Early Modern Iberian World)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Machiavelli in the British Isles: Two Early Modern Translations of The Prince (Anglo-Italian Renaissance Studies)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Chess in the Middle Ages and Early Modern Age: Volume: A Fundamental Thought Paradigm of the Premodern World
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Translation and the Book Trade in Early Modern Europe
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Eucharist and the Poetic Imagination in Early Modern England (Ideas in Context)
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Women and the Counter-Reformation in Early Modern Munster (Oxford Historical Monographs)
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Worship and the Parish Church in Early Modern Britain (St Andrews Studies in Reformation History)
- 2017-11-08[PDF] The Cambridge History of Early Modern English Literature (The New Cambridge History of English Literature)
- 2017-11-06[PDF] The Nonverbal Shift in Early Modern English Conversation (Pragmatics & Beyond New Series)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Women and the Counter-Reformation in Early Modern Munster (Oxford Historical Monographs)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Renaissance and Reformations: An Introduction to Early Modern English Literature
- 2013-10-10The Cambridge History of Early Modern English Literature (repost)
- 2011-10-10The Cambridge History of Early Modern English Literature
- 2011-10-10The Cambridge History of Early Modern English Literature (Repost)
- 2010-08-24Vanities of the Eye: Vision in Early Modern European Culture
- 2008-12-05The Cambridge History of Early Modern English Literature
- 2011-08-02Roman Triumphs and Early Modern English Culture (Early Modern Literature in History) - Removed
- 2011-07-03Roman Triumphs and Early Modern English Culture (Early Modern Literature in History) - Removed
- 2011-05-18Roman Triumphs and Early Modern English Culture (Early Modern Literature in History)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.