[PDF] Natural Resource Abundance, Growth, and Diversification in the Middle East and North Africa: The Effects of Natural Resources and the Role of Policies (Directions in Development)
Posted on 2017-11-05, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Ndiame' Diop and Daniela Marotta | Publisher: World Bank Publications | Category: Economy | Language: English | Page: 224 | ISBN: 0821395912 | ISBN13: 9780821395912 |
Description: MENA is one of the richest regions in the world in terms of natural resources: it holds more than 60 percent of the worlds proven oil reserves, mostly located in the Gulf region, and nearly half of gas reserves. Oil represents 80-85 percent of merchandise exports in the region, making it highly depending on fluctuations in international prices. A long strand of economic literature has suggested that such dependence may hurt a countrys growth prospects and the scope for job creation by reducing economic diversification. This volume investigates the effect of natural resources and the role of policies on achieving higher and sustained growth through diversification away from oil. It explores analytical questions which include: (i) the impact of the real exchange rate on manufacturing and tradable services competitiveness in MENA (ii) the role of fiscal policy in supporting diversification (iii) how weak links (input sectors with low productivity) play a critical role in explaining the concentration of economic activities, in addition to the classical Dutch Disease effect and (iv) the impact of macroeconomic factors on the drive for regional integration Several policy recommendations emerge from this analysis: (i) policymakers should strive to avoid real exchange rate overvaluation through consistent fiscal policies, flexible exchange rates and adequate product and factor market regulations (ii) reforms to improve the competition and efficiency of upstream input activities are crucial for improving the performance of downstream activities and diversification in MENA (iii) a consistent and transparent fiscal policy is essential to reduce instability, build the fiscal space needed to invest in core infrastructure and human capital and create a favorable environment for diversification (iv) while regional trade integration is desirable for political, social, cultural and economic reasons, in terms of trade liberalization, this is not the best option for resource-rich countries of the region. Policymakers should take this into account in discussing regional integration options. It is hoped that the findings of this work will be of interest to policymakers, the civil society, donors and practitioners in MENA countries and stimulate the debate of such an important topic.
Natural Resource Abundance, Growth, and Diversification in the Middle East and North Africa: The Effects of Natural Resources and the Role of Policies (Directions in Development).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33151
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Natural Resources and Economic Growth: Learning from History (Routledge Explorations in Economic History)
- 2011-09-04Measuring and Sustaining the New Economy, Software, Growth, and the Future of the U.S Economy
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Water Resource Systems Planning and Management: An Introduction to Methods, Models, and Applications
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Trade Liberalisation, Economic Growth and Environmental Externalities: An Analysis of Indian Manufacturing Industries
- 2018-01-24[PDF] 'Biomass Now: Sustainable Growth and Use'
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Semiconductor Nanowires I: Growth and Theory, Volume 93
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Salicylic Acid: Plant Growth and Development - Removed
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Natural Resources and Control Processes (Handbook of Environmental Engineering)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Natural Resources and Sustainable Development (Global Issues (Facts on File))
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Evidence of Editing: Growth and Change of Texts in the Hebrew Bible (Resources for Biblical Study)
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Dynamic Systems, Economic Growth, and the Environment (Dynamic Modeling and Econometrics in Economics and Finance) - Removed
- 2017-11-15[PDF] Mathematical Essays on Growth and the Emergence of Form
- 2017-11-14[PDF] Sintering: Densification, Grain Growth and Microstructure
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Human Resource Management, Innovation and Performance
- 2017-11-05[PDF] Natural Resources, Conflict, and Sustainable Development: Lessons from the Niger Delta (Routledge African Studies)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Natural Resources, Sustainability and Humanity: A Comprehensive View
- 2017-10-28[PDF] Industrial Organization: Competition, Growth and Structural Change
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Introduction to Crystal Growth and Characterization
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Natural Resources, Conflict, and Sustainable Development: Lessons from the Niger Delta (Routledge African Studies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.