Posted on 2017-11-17, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Kenneth McIntosh | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 64 | ISBN: 1422217841 | ISBN13: 9781422217849 |
Description: American society in the 1800s had a rough edge to it. In a nation made up of people of diverse backgrounds and heritage, social controls needed to be strict & enforceable. The extreme economic inequality of America's cities and the wide-open moral code of the frontier led to a culture of crime and violence that still plagues our country. During the 1800s, professional police forces were established in cities, towns, and territories across the continent. On the frontier, "justice" was often swift & severe, with "hanging judges" making their reputations as representatives of the law in a lawless land. Long prison sentences in miserable conditions were the rule for criminals, and many a prisoner might have preferred the option of a quick execution. Before the reform of the legal system-which is an ongoing process-there was definitely a separate law, and a separate standard of penalties, for the rich and for the poor. The evolution of a humane penal system and a fairer protection of all citizens under the law is an important contribution of 1800s America to the modern world.
Outlaws and Lawmen: Crime and Punishment in the 1800s (Daily Life in America in the 1800s).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33539
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Crime and Punishment around the World [4 volumes]
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Underworld London: Crime and Punishment in the Capital City
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Crime and Punishment around the World [4 volumes]
- 2019-01-24Beyond These Walls Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States - Removed
- 2019-01-15Beyond These Walls Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-10Beyond These Walls Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States
- 2019-01-10Beyond These Walls Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Psychology and Law: Bridging the Gap (Psychology, Crime and Law)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Spies and Holy Wars: The Middle East in 20th-Century Crime Fiction
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Fatal Love: Spousal Killers, Law, and Punishment in the Late Colonial Spanish Atlantic [Spanish]
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Sex and Punishment: Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Wolf and Punishment: (The Alaska Princesses Trilogy, Book 1) (Volume 1)
- 2017-10-28[PDF] Responsibility and Punishment (Library of Ethics and Applied Philosophy)
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Drugs and Money: Managing the Drug Trade and Crime Money in Europe (Organizational Crime)
- 2014-06-12Crime and Punishment Around the World (4 Volumes)
- 2013-06-05Glasgow: The Real Mean City: True Crime and Punishment in the Second City of Empire
- 2012-01-22Advancing the Competitiveness and Efficiency of the U.S. Construction Industry - Committee On Advancing The Competitiveness And Productivity Of The U.S. Construction Industry
- 2012-01-03Improved Operational Testing and Evaluation: Better Measurement and Test Design for the Interim Brigade Combat Team with Stryker Vehicles, Phase I Report - Panel On Operational Test Design And Evaluation Of The Interim Armored Vehicle
- 2012-01-03Advancing the Competitiveness and Efficiency of the U.S. Construction Industry - Committee On Advancing The Competitiveness And Productivity Of The U.S. Construction Industry
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.