[PDF] Outlines of English and American Literature an Introduction to the Chief Writers of England and America
Posted on 2018-01-08, by luongquocchinh.
Author: William Joseph Long | Category: Languages (Other) | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 3360c2cb6ffe45e08a07697158e9e729 |
Description: he last thing we find in making a book is to know what to put first. Pascal When an author has finished his history, after months or years of happy work, there comes a dismal hour when he must explain its purpose and apologize for its shortcomings. The explanation in this case is very simple and goes back to a personal experience. When the author first studied the history of our literature there was put into his hands as a textbook a most dreary catalogue of dead authors, dead masterpieces, dead criticisms, dead ages and a boy who knew chiefly that he was alive was supposed to become interested in this literary sepulchre or else have it said that there was something hopeless about him. Later he learned that the great writers of England and America were concerned with life alone, as the most familiar, the most mysterious, the most fascinating thing in the world, and that the only valuable or interesting feature of any work of literature is its vitality. To introduce these writers not as dead worthies but as companionable men and women, and to present their living subject as a living thing, winsome as a smile on a human face, such was the authors purpose in writing this book. The apology is harder to frame, as anyone knows who has attempted to gather the writers of a thousand years into a single volume that shall have the three virtues of brevity, readableness and accuracy. That this record is brief in view of the immensity of the subject is plainly apparent.
Outlines of English and American Literature an Introduction to the Chief Writers of England and America.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35133
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Outlines of English and American Literature an Introduction to the Chief Writers of England and America, to the Books, They Wrote, and to the Times, in Which They Lived (Classic Reprint)
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Forms of English History in Literature, Landscape, and Architecture (Language, Discourse, Society) - Removed
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Writing As Enlightenment: Buddhist American Literature into the Twenty-first Century (Suny Series in Buddhism and American Culture)
- 2017-11-15[PDF] A Companion to Latin American Literature and Culture
- 2017-10-21[PDF] Historical Dictionary of Latin American Literature and Theater
- 2018-01-30[PDF] George Saunders: Critical Essays (American Literature Readings in the 21st Century)
- 2018-01-05[PDF] A Brief History of American Literature (Wiley-Blackwell)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] A Brief History of American Literature
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Tales of Berlin in American Literature up to the 21st Century (Spatial Practices)
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Games for English and Language Arts
- 2017-12-20[PDF] What is English?: And Why Should We Care?
- 2017-12-15[PDF] UNFORGETTABLE FIRE (English and Japanese Edition)
- 2017-12-05[PDF] A History of the English Bible as Literature (A History of the Bible as Literature)
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Thinking Modally: English and Contrastive Studies on Modality
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Book design (English and Chinese Edition)
- 2017-04-14[PDF] A Companion to African American Literature
- 2017-02-10[PDF] UNFORGETTABLE FIRE (English and Japanese Edition)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] What is English?: And Why Should We Care?
- 2018-07-07Kinds of Literature An Introduction to the Theory of Genres and Modes
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.