Posted on 2018-01-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: John France | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 456 | ISBN: 0300120745 | ISBN13: 9780300120745 |
Description: 0300197179 This expansive book surveys the history of warfare from ancient Mesopotamia to the Gulf War in search of a deeper understanding of the origins of Western warfare and the reasons for its eminence today. Historian John France explores the experience of war around the globe, in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America. His bold conclusions cast doubt on well-entrenched attitudes about the development of military strength, the impact of culture on warfare, the future of Western dominance, and much more. Taking into account wars waged by virtually all civilizations since the beginning of recorded history, France finds that despite enormous cultural differences, war was conducted in distinctly similar ways right up to the Military Revolution and the pursuit of technological warfare in the nineteenth century. Since then, European and American culture has shaped warfare, but only because we have achieved a sense of distance from it, France argues. He warns that the present eminence of U.S. power is much more precarious and accidental than commonly believed. The notion that war is a distant phenomenon is only an illusion, and our cultural attitudes must change accordingly.
Perilous Glory: The Rise of Western Military Power.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35844
- 2017-10-12[PDF] American Empire: The Rise of a Global Power, the Democratic Revolution at Home 1945-2000 (Penguin History of the United States)
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Perfecting Parliament: Constitutional Reform, Liberalism, and the Rise of Western Democracy
- 2018-01-10[PDF] The Rise of Western Christendom: Triumph and Diversity, A.D. 200-1000 (Making of Europe)
- 2017-12-14[PDF] Carnage and Culture: Landmark Battles in the Rise to Western Power
- 2017-11-12[PDF] The Rise of Western Germany: 1945-1972
- 2017-11-10[PDF] Chatham Dockyard: The Rise and Fall of a Military Industrial Complex
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Carnage and Culture: Landmark Battles in the Rise of Western Power
- 2017-10-09[PDF] The Great Knowledge Transcendence: The Rise of Western Science and Technology Reframed - Removed
- 2017-10-04[PDF] Localizing Global Finance: The Rise of Western-Style Private Equity in China (Palgrave Pivot)
- 2017-02-09[PDF] Carnage and Culture: Landmark Battles in the Rise to Western Power
- 2017-02-08[PDF] Carnage and Culture: Landmark Battles in the Rise of Western Power
- 2012-06-03Vanished Kingdoms: The Rise and Fall of States and Nations - Removed
- 2012-05-21The Household Division (British Military Band Uniforms)
- 2011-09-22The Rise of Games and High Performance Computing for Modeling and Simulation
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Elvis Ignited: The Rise of an Icon in Florida
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Perilous Interventions: The Security Council and the Politics of Chaos
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Night Trains: The Rise and Fall of the Sleeper
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Witchcraft and the Rise of the First Confucian Empire (SUNY Series in Chinese Philosophy and Culture (Hardcover))
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.