Posted on 2017-10-11, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Peter Middleton | Publisher: University Of Chicago Press | Category: Poetry | Language: English | Page: 272 | ISBN: 022629000X | ISBN13: 9780226290003 |
Description: At the close of the Second World War, modernist poets found themselves in an increasingly scientific world, where natural and social sciences claimed exclusive rights to knowledge of both matter and mind. Following the overthrow of the Newtonian worldview and the recent, shocking displays of the power of the atom, physics led the way, with other disciplines often turning to the methods and discoveries of physics for inspiration. In Physics Envy, Peter Middleton examines the influence of science, particularly physics, on American poetry since World War II. He focuses on such diverse poets as Charles Olson, Muriel Rukeyser, Amiri Baraka, and Rae Armantrout, among others, revealing how the methods and language of contemporary natural and social sciencesand even the discourse of the leading popular science magazine Scientific Americanshaped their work. The relationship, at times, extended in the other direction as well: leading physicists such as Robert Oppenheimer, Werner Heisenberg, and Erwin Schrdinger were interested in whether poetry might help them explain the strangeness of the new, quantum world. Physics Envy is a history of science and poetry that shows how ultimately each serves to illuminate the other in its quest for the true nature of things.
Physics Envy: American Poetry and Science in the Cold War and After.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32274
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Physics Envy: American Poetry and Science in the Cold War and After
- 2018-07-15Rockets and Ray Guns The Sci-Fi Science of the Cold War
- 2018-06-04Rockets and Ray Guns The Sci-Fi Science of the Cold War
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Seeing Off the Bear: Anglo-American Air Power Cooperation During the Cold War - Missiles, Ground-Launched Cruise Missiles, RAF Aircraft, Skybolt, Overflying the Soviet Union, Cuban Missile Crisis
- 2011-08-06Strategies of Containment: A Critical Appraisal of American National Security Policy during the Cold War
- 2017-12-22[PDF] American Science in an Age of Anxiety: Scientists, Anticommunism, and the Cold War
- 2017-12-18[PDF] Physics of Negative Refraction and Negative Index Materials: Optical and Electronic Aspects and Diversified Approaches (Springer Series in Materials Science) - Removed
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Physics of Wurtzite Nitrides and Oxides: Passport to Devices (Springer Series in Materials Science) - Removed
- 2011-08-13Steel Bridge Construction, Myths & Realities
- 2018-06-27A Poetics of Global Solidarity Modern American Poetry and Social Movements
- 2018-01-19[PDF] he Liberal State on Trial: The Cold War and American Politics in the Truman Years
- 2018-01-15[PDF] American Torture: From the Cold War to Abu Ghraib and Beyond
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Hybrid Fictions: American Literature and Generation X
- 2018-01-03[PDF] An Army of Phantoms: American Movies and the Making of the Cold War
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Physics in My Generation (Heidelberg Science Library) - Removed
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Sowing Crisis: The Cold War and American Dominance in the Middle East
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Encyclopedia of American Government and Civics
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Encyclopedia of American Religion and Politics (Facts on File Library of American History Series)**OUT OF PRINT** (Facts on File Library of American Literature)
- 2017-12-22[PDF] American Labor and the Cold War: Grassroots Politics and Postwar Political Culture
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.